can I use Autocad to draw Spaceships?

Hello...
My husband is writing a science fiction novel, and he knows I've been
wanting to take a series of Autocad classes at the local college.
Intro to Autocad (Level 1) starts in 2 weeks.
They then move on to intermediate
and finally advanced, where they deal with 3D modelling and rendering.
Each class is 4 hours long, and each Level lasts 9 weeks.
My question is this:
Assumming I do all the course work, home work, etc., would I be able to draw
the
curves and unusual 'exterior walls' that are the norm for a science fiction
spaceship?
If I modelled it properly from the ground up, would I be able to provide
details inside? Furniture, etc?
Thanks very much and I appreciate everyone that replies.
lucyh at dhimaging dot com dot au
Reply to
Lucy
While about anything is possible, you will have a rather difficult time with the shapes and compound curves of the type thing that you are talking about. AutoCAD is pretty low on the list of solid modelers. You would be much better off with something like Turbocad, Rhino, ect.
Reply to
CW
In the mean time, maybe try and experiment with Sketchup by @last, they have a demo and good tutorial vids on the site.
Reply to
Ron McNeil
HiHo; Go to
and checkout Rhino and Flamingo. Both have a student price and while your there look at some of the drawings and renderings done in rhino with flamingo. The class in AutoCAd will help you understand some of CAD basics and rhino is a easy 3d program.
Reply to
bestafor
Thanks for the reply, and the links!
I have bookmarked the site, and am downloading the demos as we speak.
Will let you know how I get on...
-Lucy
Reply to
Lucy
thanks Ron...
-Lucy
Reply to
Lucy
Lucy: If you're really, really patient, you CAN simulate all of those fancy shapes in basic AutoCad. Most folks steer you to other programs that save a lot of steps that YOU have to do one-at-a-time in AutoCad. I would urge you to TRY basic autocad and see how far you can take it. Once you've put yourself through all of the options available in the 3D commands, you will UNDERSTAND how things get done in 3D and not just be another half smart button pusher.
Good Luck!
Reply to
Tom Irvin
Yeah. It's kind of like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. It feels so good when you stop.
"Tom Irvin" wrote in message Most folks steer you to other programs
Reply to
CW
Lucy
Check out the Star Trek spaceships available at most AutoCAD Sharware and block resources.
Alan

Cadalot