AutoCAD to PDF Conversion Appends Layout to File Name

I submit the following for your consideration. I recently upgraded from AutoCAD 2005 to 2008. Using 2005 I was able to convert my .dwg files to .pdf and retain the same basic file name as the CAD drawing. Using 2008 the file name is now appended with "Model (1)", so if I start with "Drawing 1.dwg", I end up with "Drawing 1 Model (1).pdf". I currently have both versions of AutoCAD on my PC (Window XP Pro) and they will produce two different results when converting the same file. I am using Acrobat 3D 8.1.0. This same problem plagued me for years in previous versions of CAD and I thought it had finally been resolved. Also, when I first began using AutoCAD 2005, I was still using Acrobat

6 Pro, again there were no problems with the file name, nothing was appended. I did not add any scripts or VBA routines to AutoCAD 2005, it simply worked fine. Does anyone know if there is a preference/ switch either in AutoCAD or Acrobat to fix this problem? In previous years I had to edit each conversion by hand until AutoCAD 2005 "fixed" the problem, I'd rather not have to do that again. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply to
pmind

I too get that using PDF995 and AutoCAD 2008. What I do is to use a simple (and Free) file renamer which allows not only renaming common text of files... but also you can substiture "-Layout1" with blank text "".

The application is called Flexible Renamer and the latest version is 7.3 (which I've been using for about 2 years now on alot of different files):

Regards,

BruceF

Reply to
Mr. B

Thanks Bruce, I'll give it a try. It beats the alternative.

Reply to
pmind

What happens if you rename the layout to "."?

Reply to
strawberry

I'm not sure if I follow...

If you have a file:

Drawing1 - Layout1.dwg

... in the Applicaiton you enter your Source Text (i.e. -Layout1)

Then you enter your Target Text (i.e. ... nothing at all... or -NewLayout1... what ever).

Hit the Go and the text is replaced.

AND you can UNDO your mess (as long as you don't close the appication. Simple enough to try and see if it works for you.

BruceF

Reply to
Mr. B

I was addressing the OP. What happens if the OP renames the Autocad Layout tab to ".". It's just a guess, but maybe then the Layout name wouldn't get appended to the drawing title in the PDF, and thereby avoiding the whole subsequent renaming business.

Reply to
strawberry

Strawberry, The complexity here is that I have about 15,000 total cad files that get updated at a rate of 20-50 per day. Buy the time I see the files they are write protected, it would be very difficult to change the Model tab (not the layout tab) to "." on each drawing. Granted one could take that approach in the template for new drawings, but it wouldn't help with our legacy drawings; although I'm not certain whether or not it would work. BTW, the software recommended by Bruce works very well. Thanks again, Paul.

Reply to
pmind

I checked it out. Actually, I don't think you can change the Model Layout name, so my solution wouldn't work for this layout. It does however work for paperspace layouts - in case you ever get round to using them - so you could design it in to your templates in the future. The solution you've been provided with is probably the way to go - until Autocad finally allow the user to choose how to resolve this irritation. You could also look at M8 tools. I think they offer a solution of some kind.

Reply to
strawberry