AutoCad 2004 - How can I make a door?

I am very new to Autocad, I've always been interested in design and wanted to learn this program. I am trying to desing my first layout for a house. I was wondering how I can design doors. I know its a stupid question but I'd appreciate any help thanks.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Anthony Finkley

That sounds like a design question, not a CAD question.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

That's not very helpful! I suggest you manually draw a door (I presume you're working in 2D), then convert it to a block. The command to write a block is "B." After that you can copy your object around the drawing, rotate and mirror it, etc. All the lines in the block will behave as though it's a single object. If you were using Architectural Desktop you'd be able to use the Smart Walls/Doors/Windows command but you'll have to wing it if you're using vanilla AutoCAD.

Marc

Reply to
Marc Clamage

Are u using Architectural Desktop 2004?

"Marc Clamage" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:ZaadnW9AS73crt7enZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
kk

I'm not assuming as much about what the OP means, Marc. Have you ever designed a door? I have, a couple of times. If he is asking about "design" as he says, there are many aspects and this wouldn't be the most likely newsgroup:

Visual aspects. Finishes. Mechanical clearances. Joinery. Materials. Hardware. Weatherproofing, etc.

If it's really a drafting question, like , "How do I draw standard doors in a plan?" then your answer is spot on. If it's "I really like design, and I want to design a door using AutoCAD." it's not. Who knows?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Well Robert Anthony, which is it?

I assume when someone says "I'm very new to AutoCAD" they're not planning on designing a door from scratch but instead are looking to easily insert door symbols on their floor plan.

And yes, kk, I am using ADT. From an architectural standpoint it's a much more useful drafting tool than plain AutoCAD, which is rather generic. Like all AutoDesk products it's outrageously expensive but when used properly, it can really streamline the drafting and design process.

Marc

Reply to
Marc Clamage