convert a relative path to an absolute one

I have a problem with a disappearing (nested) xref. I think it might be related to the fact that the xref's path is defined 'relatively'. I
say that because it's the only xref defined in this manner, and the only one that I have a problem with.
Is there an easy way to convert the relative path to an absolute one without detaching and reattaching the xref? - there are several instances of the xref in my drawing(s), each xclipped to some degree
As always, any help greatly appreciated.