Dimensioning diameters

I'm a graphics teacher trying to get to grips with AutoCAD 2002 LT.
How can I get a dimension displayed as a diameter without the object being
dimensioned being a circle? I know it sounds peculiar, but if I have a cylinder which shows a circle in the plan view, but a rectangle in the elevation view. I want to show the dimension as a diameter on the elevation.
Sorry if that is a bit convoluted.
Davy M

What I would do is dimension the cylinder across the diameter as a normal dimension and add the text "DIA." or whatever you want, like %%d. Hope this helps.
(KWoz) wrote:

Try %%c Use 'Properties' and add %%c in front of (or at the end of) the dimension text.
Might be a little different in 2002LT. Not what I use.

oops, I meant %%c. sorry
Add %%C before your dimension Have fun! Paul

in
Thanks for that. %%c works nicely getting the diameter symbol displayed where I need it.
Davy M.