Dimensioning Help

There will be a very easy answer to this.....
For some reason Autocad is now asking me to enter the dimension text. The dimension is then made up of individual parts.
When I try to change the point I want to dimension I can't select the dim as a whole entity.
What settings have I inadvertantly altered??
rob wrote:

why is autocad exploding your dimensions, is the question. I am on release 2000, so you may have "options" I do not have.
but I am not finding anything that automatically explodes dimensions as I draw them.
hope that helps.
roy
Thanks Roy,
'Exploding' pointed me in the right direction.
I had the 'DIMASSOC' system variable set to 0
(Using AutoCad 2006)
Cheers,
Look up dimaso. You probably have it turned off.