Once upon a time in SW

At one time, several years ago, I was able to rmb on a dimension, properties, modify text and in that modify text dialog box there were two input boxes where the user could input text. The top one would put text above the dimension line and the bottom one would put text below the dimension line. At some point the second text box was taken away (I have no idea when this happenend) so that now the user can only add text above the dimension line.

Can anyone confirm that they remember this second text box? Does anyone know how to add manually inserted text below the dimension line? Do you think this feature was removed from the software because it is not part of an approved drafting standard?

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Sam, Check your help screens. If you choose ANSI stds in your document settings, you should be able to vertically justify the dim text. It does put a break in the line, probably per ANSI std. Good Luck!

Sam wrote:

Reply to
SolidBug

I thought that would be the first response, I do not want to break the dimension line. I would like the dimension line to remain solid with the user having the ability to add text either below or above the dimension line.

Thanks for the response.

Sam

SolidBug wrote:

Reply to
Sam

Reply to
SolidBug

Reply to
SolidBug

Sam,

I am running SW2003 at work and if I select a dimension, I have three choices for text position, above, in-line, or below. I can put text or dim values in any or all as I wish. I went to a seat of SW2006, and those choices are not available. So, you are not losing your mind, at least in regards to this issue. ;>) It's gone, but there may be a way to get it back.

Reaper.

Reply to
Reaper2561

Maybe I'm miss-understanding exactly what you want to do. But try entering your text in the "Dimension Text" area that shows up after you select your dimension. If you want text above the dim just goto the beginning of the entry, before the , and hit enter to move it down a line.

Hope it gets you what you want.

Rory

Reaper2561 wrote:

Reply to
Rory

SW2004 also has multiple positions to put the text in.

Jerry Steiger

It's not gone. They just consolidated the interface. The same functionality is available, it just doesn't take 3 dialog boxes to do it.

Using 06 or 07 you can still put text above, below and inline with the dimension text.

Reply to
matt

The question was how to put an additional text below the DIMENSION LINE, not below the dim text itself. For example, = = indicates symmetry and should be placed below the dimension line. At the same time it should be part of the dim. text, not a separate object as it has to be in Inventor, for instance. In AutoCAD it is achieved by preceding the = = string with X\. In the Dim. editor DB the whole string looks like X\= =.

Igor.

Reply to
Igor Mironenko

I agree. The "= =" point is something that regularly bugs me. You can't even attach a note to a dimension so that it moves with it, like I could in I-Deas.

John H

Reply to
John H

Can't you just group the dimension and the text??

Reply to
yawdro

You can "group" a note to a dimension so that it moves with it. I do this all the time with revision symbols. It's not perfect though.

If you manually move the dimension, all is good. The grouped item will move with the dimension as expected.

If there is another force that moves the dimension automatically such as moving another dimension that is aligned with the grouped dimension, then the grouped item will not move. Or, if you move the dimension manually then click undo, the grouped item will not move back.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Also, the note gets grouped with the dimension text - you don't get the option to position it relative to (say) one of the arrows, or the centre of the dimension line. this means that if you drag the dimension text to one side (to clear something else on the drawing), then an "= =" note will no longer be centralised.

John H

Reply to
John H