Assembly/Part origins in SW2006

Hey All, We're just deploying SW2006, and have noticed an issue with inserting parts into assemblies. The typical 'click green check mark' or 'click on assy origin with double arrow cursor icon' methods of forcing the part origin onto the assy origin is NOT working. Well, on most workstations anyway. I do have it working properly on one computer. I've compared/changed system settings with no success in controlling this event. It's not bad enough that new assemblies are affected, but when opening existing assemblies with 'fixed' (not mated) components, the fixed components are moving to a new location. This isn't good with large assemblies over 2500 pieces! Any ideas??? Anyone seen this before?? We're running upto date hardware, 2.5-3GHz Pentium processors, 3GB+ ram, 128Mb nVidia cards, on WinXP SP2, SW2006 SP4.1. Thanks for any help!

Reply to
SolidBug

I have never seen fixed parts move. Doesn't meant that it isn't happening, but highly doubtful. Can you duplicate this? If so, capture it with Rx.

Now, as far as dropping parts in, if you drag and drop into the FT area, it will align the part planes with the assy planes. If you drop it into the graphics area, it sits where you leave it.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Reply to
SolidBug

I am seeing this also. In every assembly. Even though the cursor shows a double arrow it does not mate the origin on the part to the assy origin. I have been floating the part, mating the plane (Position only option check) and then fixing it.

ssingh

Reply to
Singh S

I had something similar in 2005, I believe it was related to Flexible SubAssemblies...haven't had a problem like it in 2006...

Might make sure all your associated files are Converted and Saved to sw2006.

Also might try manually mating the 'base' parts to the planes rather than fixing them to the origins... yeah I know, workarounds suck...

Good luck

SolidBug wrote:

Reply to
hayduke

I've seen this and reported it, and got an spr number (part not locking to origin if you click origin when placing it). You can probably look it up on the customer portal. If you just ignore the previews and click the green check in the prop mgr, the part origin gets lined up with the assy origin. I've never seen it do anything else. Also I've never seen fixed parts move unless there's some weird in-context situation.

Reply to
matt

Maybe I am missing something here. Are you talking about having two windows open - one with a part, the other with an assy, and dragging and dropping the part onto the origin of the assy? If so, I don't think it makes any difference if you drop it onto the origin vs.anywhere else in the FT area. Or are we discussing some other action or method?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I was talking about using the Insert, Component function, but if you have two windows open and drag from the part to the assy and drop in the FeatureManager area, the part snaps to the origin, but doesn't get the Fixed constraint.

If you use the Insert Component function, you get a Fixed constraint.

If you drag from window to window and snap to the origin, it works properly in 07. It looks like they fixed the bug from 06.

Reply to
matt

Ooooohhhhhh - I hardly ever use the Insert Component method - I generally have the part open because I just created it or modified it.

I also tend to shy away from Fixed parts, especially when you work on someone else's stuff. I pulled my hair out one time trying to figure out why something was off just a bit. Seems that someone else had dropped in a part close to the assy planes, but not quite. Basically I don't trust anyone else to make sure it's correct - I prefer to mate the planes specifically the way I want them.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany