Is there a batch convert utility that will create previews of the files?

Hi all,

I noticed that dwgs saved in the newer autocad formats include previews of the file which is useful when inserting blocks or opening drawings. Is the a program that will take all the older format files and save them with a preview of the dwg contents zoomed to extents. I have tried the autocad batch conversion migration tool and all it does is convert the file format, I still have to open each one individually and zoon extents and save it to get this little preview - I have a lot of older blocks which would be very tedious if I did these steps for each dwg!

Thanks.

Reply to
wm_cheng_NOSPAM_

You could do this with a script.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Try RESAVE.LSP from

You'll also need DosLib, available from

Paul Turvill

If you have AutoCAD 2004 or 2005 and all you want is to insert the dwgs as blocks, right click on a folder in the Design Center, and pick "Create Tool Palette of Blocks". It will create a palette of all dwgs in the folder with a block icon for each one. The block icons are kept separate from the dwgs. If you want previews in the dwg files, you need to open and save them.

Reply to
Tim S

Wow !! that's exactly what I'm looking for - thank so much, I still haven't really used many of the new features yet - but this is a great one!

Now where are these icons stored - how can I transfer these to another computer - or do I have to create tool palettes for each of them?

Thanks

Reply to
NOSPAM

In ACAD 2004, palette images are kept in:

C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD

2004\R16.0\enu\Support\ToolPalette\Palettes\Images\

Palette descriptions are in the Palettes folder. You can export and import palettes with the Import & Export options on the customize dialog. You can have only one palette set at a time, but changing the path for them will make different sets available.

Reply to
Tim S