Backward compatability of files

I took home a file from work created in Autocad 2002 but could not open it in LT97 so I opened it in Autocad 2005 and worked on it. Now 2002 will not
open the file. This is a damned nuisance - why aren't the files created by different versions compatable?! Is there any method of processing the file created in 2005 so it can be worked on back in 2002?
*File* *Export to Autocad* *2002*

This option is not available - only 'bitmap' 'Metafile' etc

it
not
by
file
I read your post to indicate the drawing was modified with '05. If that is so, and you are in '05, the option is available.

On 7/22/2005 9:31 AM S. Scalise wrote:

Are you sure? I thought only verticals included the "Export to AutoCAD" function. Vanilla AutoCAD includes version 2002 in the regular SAVEAS dialog.
I have been using ADT for years (started with 3.0, now on '06) and some of the menu options are different. For example, I have no "tools" dropdown, it is "format". So, I could be wrong about Vanilla AutoCAD. "Save As" may be the only option there. If I would think a bit before shooting off my mouth I would have realized the Export to AutoCAD is to convert AEC objects to 2D so the file can be used by standard Acad.

In a previous post SS says...

Yes. Get a copy of Intellicad. It will open almost all DWGs.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co

Chip Harper

http://home.comcast.net/~hot4cad /
On 7/22/2005 2:10 AM SS wrote:

Say you have a 2004 drawing (AutoCAD 2004/5/6), and you save it back to R14. What should it do to TABLE, FIELD, and other entities that only exist in 4/5/6 versions?
I suppose if the drawing only contained entities supported in the savedown version - then it could be done. But the real issue here is if they allow you to savedown to R14 effortlessly - then there is no incentive for those R14 users to upgrade - and sales rule at software companies....

*balls to that! That's why I only use such objects, and I invite yall to do the same.

As I understand things the file format in AutoCad was consistant from 2000 to 2002, after that it changed and 2003 to 2006 is the same. I use 2006 and I am assuming that 2005 is similar. Try using "save as" in 2005 but change the format to 2000. If I am correct you should be able to open the newly saved file in 2002.
Hope this helps
Alan
You can down load from Autodesk a batch convertor that will convert 2004 back to R14. I've got it and it works pretty good. Converts R14/200/2004 format. It converted 600 ACAD2000 format drawings to 2004 in ten minutes! Failing this, save your work as a R12 dxf.
Hope this helps
Steve

it
not