manipulate text inside block

I have outsmarted myself.
I have for years used Rtext for my date in my titleblock. $(edtime, 0, mo"-"dd"-"yy)
so when I make plots during the design process, the date in the titleblock is current. then at the end of the job, I am supposed to explode the Rtext so the date stops updating.
but I usually forget to explode the block, explode the Rtext and redefine the block.
is there a way to access the data in a block sans exploding it? when last I had time to play, I was working with making views more automatically, and had some success massaging the view tables.
I was thinking at the time that perhaps there was a similar approach to blocks.