Notes in PS or MS

We are having a discussion at work regarding the placement of notes, dimensions and general text in either model space or paperspace. Personally,
I prefer everything in MS and when you are done make a viewport in PS and your done. This way everything that is needed in design is located in MS except for the drawing sheet border and title information. I understand that dimensioning and notes in PS means less dimension styles but how do you know what notes are done and where they are (without switching back and forth)?
I would invite everyone to join in this discussion. I Have cross-posted to alt.cad.autocad to broaden the discussion.
RD
You'll probably get as many opinions on this theme as there are AutoCAD users. Our preference has alway been to put everything that's directly related to the Model in Model Space -- including dimensions, notes with callouts, etc. Everything that's of a "general" nature -- General Notes, Title Bar, Borders, and similar stuff -- in Paper Space. Our reasoning is similar to yours. ___

Ditto

Me too.

So far the opinions seem rather one-sided. Where is the arguments for pointing all the notes and dimensions in Paperspace???
Rd

People who do that haven't figured out how to use the net yet. Bwa ha ha ha! ;-)

I go both ways.. my job is more layout work than drafting though. I use ACAD to place equipment & draw piping & ductwork. A typical drawing will have about 3 floors of steel , & layout work all in 3d. large industrial buildings like 100 x100 feet.. the drawings I submit for approval will have minimal dimensions .. mainly elevations & centerline dimensions of various types of machinery from gridlines... I usually do all this in Paperspace.. once I get approvals, I dimension each piece of pipe, duct , or spouting in MS...
just my 2 cents...
Rob
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:00:38 -0600, in alt.cad.autocad,"RD"

What's "gawd"?

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 07:39:11 -0500, in alt.cad.autocad,"Michael

It's a (most often) southern term for "my invisible friend", the head deity of the day.

<blushes> I thought it was some acronym. That reminds me of one of the most embarrassing moments of my life....
I was in 5th or 6th grade and reading aloud in class and came across this word that looked like it should be pronounced "hee-ven". It was "heaven", and the class cracked up, teacher included, because of all kids I should know *that* word. Mine was the only father who had a full face beard and walked around all day in black with a tall, stiff black collar that had a thin white stripe at the top......everybody stared at him wherever we went.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com

It certainly could be! Let's make one up.
(extra points if it involves religion)
-- "Who we are and who we become depends, in part, on whom we love." -- "A General Theory Of Love" Thanks, Mom ______________________________________________________________ Glen Appleby snipped-for-privacy@armory.com <HTTP://www.armory.com/~glena/
You don't want to wind me up on that topic, Glen. You'll get nothing but irony, and that's not pretty. ; ) Ever known any priest's kids?
<HTTP://www.armory.com/~glena/
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 06:20:40 -0500, in comp.cad.autocad,"Michael
[Religious acronyms for "gawd"]

No, because most of the little boiz swallow.
-- "Who we are and who we become depends, in part, on whom we love." -- "A General Theory Of Love" Thanks, Mom ______________________________________________________________ Glen Appleby snipped-for-privacy@armory.com <HTTP://www.armory.com/~glena/
That's odd. All the one's I know *spit*.
<HTTP://www.armory.com/~glena/

I also use my models in other programs, and would really prefer to just reference the model, without all the dimensions. Putting the dimensions in paperspace does this very well.
Can you say how you deal with making sure the paperspace dimensions are accurate. Do you use the transpacial dimensions? (they don't seem to work on most 3D objects, although SOME of have been fixed in 2004)
Joe
On 12 Feb 2004 10:21:30 -0800, in comp.cad.autocad, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Smiley) wrote:
<HTTP://www.armory.com/~glena/

The most serious problem I've run into with several versions of AutoCAD is that dimensions would occasionally "forget" their dimlfac value. This is not user error - it is probably a drawing corruption issue (one that has been pursued without results). The other chronic problems with paperspace dimensions are enough to convince me that they are just unreliable.
I do occasionally use them... however I always check the values, and then explode them afterwards to immunize them against AutoCAD bugs.
Joe

exploding dimensions is a very bad idea IMO. nothing like scaling a drawing or stretching a part & having a the dimension stay the same.
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:38:27 -0500, in

I tend to agree (see, I *have* had to deal with dimensions, back in the auld daze). Finding an exploded dimension made me suddenly question all UPDATEs and STRETCHes that I had done.