paper space

Hello, I've been drawing in model space for about

6 yrs. However I need to see what paperspace is all about and how it is more useful. I first set the tilemode to zero, and mview to a window 35.5 units wide and 23.5 units high ( I plot on 24x36 paper). Then I set the drawing back to model space and drew a 35.5x23.5 rectangle, I then copied and placec another and another into the model space. I tried experiementing with mview and had mixed results. What exactly should I attempt to learn first with PaperSpace since I don't really get the picture yet.
Reply to
JG

George P

I have mine setup where my title blocks are drawn to 1:1 scale and I insert them into paper space, then you will need to MView and then type MS so your crosshairs are inside your new viewport, you then need to set the scale of what you want to plot using XP scales, type zoom > center (pick the middle of your drawing) > then 20xp (that makes it 1:50), type PS to get your cross hairs bak in paper space then you can manipulate the viewport to box your drawing, I also put the viewport in its own layer which i then freeze once its in the right position in my title blocks.

XP scales include:

1:1 = 1000xp 1:5 = 200xp 1:10 = 100xp 1:20 = 50xp 1:50 = 20xp 1:100 = 10xp 1:200 = 5xp 1:250 = 4xp 1:500 = 2xp 1:1000 = 1xp 1:1250 = 0.8xp 1:2000 = 0.5xp 1:2500 = 0.4xp

good luck :)

Reply to
Remo Shiva

Thank you I just now saved it to my favorites.

Reply to
JG

Remo replied, I have mine setup where my title blocks are drawn to 1:1 scale and I insert them into paper space, then you will need to MView and then type MS so your crosshairs are inside your new viewport, you then need to set the scale of what you want to plot using XP scales, type zoom > center (pick the middle of your drawing) > then 20xp (that makes it 1:50), type PS to get your cross hairs bak in paper space then you can manipulate the viewport to box your drawing, I also put the viewport in its own layer which i then freeze once its in the right position in my title blocks.

------ Thanks Remo, I understand your whole process (and can start to see it usefulness) with the exception of the XP part. When I type XP the drawing is forced to load or create a project which means that XP is part of a Softdesk add on and not part of generic AutoCad. My delimea is that our county government is requiring certain aspects of our asbuilt drawings to be in paper space and xrefs. There is a high probability that the county is not using the same version of Softdesk addons that we are. Can I also just set the plot scale just from the File->Print->Scale settings? Additionally I seem to still have some ignorance here because when I create a smaller view within the original paperspace, it shows my entire dwg within the new view but it still show the old paperspace area underneath so I have overlapping views.?

Reply to
JG

I think Remo must have meant "ZOOM 0.2xp" or "ZOOM 1/50xp"

"xp" in this context just means "of paperspace scale" - and because Paperspace is at 1:1 the end result is a drawing at 1:50.

"xp" has been available in vanilla cad since the introduction of the concept of Paperspace.

I haven't read Paul's introduction to paperspace so apologies if I'm just repeating what he says there but essentially, you can think of paperspace as a sheet of paper held up to your "model". You can tear holes in this sheet of paper and fill them with 'magic' adjustable lenses which also allow you to control the visibility of layers within the model. The analogy starts to fall down here, because you can also overlap lenses to create all sorts of weird and wonderful effects.

Reply to
strawberry

no I didnt, i typed the exact process he should follow using xp scales (you can of course use block scales on your title blocks instead, and you can also use plot scales but i personally find this method to be the easiest).

JG I have never used the softdesk add-on but you dont need to type XP as a single command anyway, the xp part is typed within another command eg the zoom command. try this:

draw a rectangle in model space 3m x 3m, go into paper space, make a MView at 250m x 250m. type MSPACE so your crosshairs are now within the viewport, now type Zoom > Center (click in the middle of the 3x3 rectangle) and type '50xp'. the rectangle is now scaled in that viewport at 1:20, type PSPACE to then bring your crosshairs back into paperspace.

I would be surprised if your addon loads after typing 50xp within the zoom command tbh. also the reason I use center and not zoom xp is you will often have many drawings in model space and with center it allows you to quickly select the middle of the area you want in the viewport.

Viewports do overlap yes, but it has never caused me a problem with the type of work I do (topographical, architectural, interior design), and in newer autocads you can make a viewport different shapes to the bog standard rectangle. You can use print scales in the plot menu, but you would need to bring in each title block to scale, the beauty of xp scales is you always plot at 1:1 and never have to scale your title blocks, just the viewports.

Reply to
Remo Shiva

Just so I understand - you plot your drawings on a sheet of paper measuring 62500m=B2?

Reply to
strawberry

Just so I understand - you plot your drawings on a sheet of paper measuring 62500m²?

lol wtf r u talkin about m8

viewport size is NOT relative to title block size, my viewports are frozen on their own layer, they are just holes u punch in paper space so u can scale the model space drawing, my title blocks are drawn at 1:1, I use 1.000 = 1m units in model space. I usually have more than 1 drawing per sheet, say I have an A1 title block drawn at slightly under 594mm x 841mm and i want to show a kitchen plan, couple elevations and a detail, thats 4 viewports ye, the elevations and plan would be at say 1:20 and the detail would be 1:1, you then organise the viewports in the title block, then freeze them. Simple!!

Reply to
Remo Shiva

Unless your titleblock is actually 0.594 unit by 0.841 units then - by your definition - it's not drawn at 1:1

Reply to
strawberry

Ok, I see, I misunderstood,

Reply to