Old topic - new discussion

This newsgroup is receiving more and more spam/prono/garbarge posts. I have to show my ignorace about the operation of a newsgroup and ask ... is there
not an administrator or other authority than can block these bothersome posts? It is a shame that a good ng is plundered by such trash.

My ISP or somebody must do a better job of filtering, because I see almost none where I sit. Maybe one or two every couple of days.
Contact your ISP and see what they can do. The trouble is that most ISP's don't make any money and therefore don't spend a lot of time and effort managing the news.
I don't use it, but in other groups people recommend Supernews as a solution.
www.supernews.com
--
Steve M - snipped-for-privacy@houston.rrdirt.com (remove dirt for reply)

I allow my cats to express themselves, never interfere with their
This group is "unmoderated" and dying, from what I can tell. Where is everybody?
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com

I think it's not so much that as that this particular medium is dying in general.
On the Autodesk news servers. Point your news reader to their server at: discussion.Autodesk.com

It's not the same with a (over-zealous) moderator. They won't let me type "god" as in "Oh my god!". They delete anything they want. It's one step from an being in an infomercial without getting paid. It's just not the same.

bothersome

<snip>
It does seem to be dying off. I am probably a fairly typical case. I lurk here for the most part. Occassionally I have something to add, but so often one of you hot-dogs have already answered others questions before I even see them. And though I have been using Autocad for many years, I don't right much lisp, and no VBA stuff. I can do most of my work with it right out of the box, and usually a simple search will turn up any extra lisp I need. I know, not the same as writing it yourself. Nice website you, by the way. Cheers
Steve

see
That's *Mr.* Frankfurter to you.

Thanks. A colleague described it as something between a blog and a portfolio site. I don't do much ranting, but have thought about it-just too busy these days.
One of my favorite groups is alt.design.graphics and over half of the posts are OT, but no one seems to mind. In fact it's the OT posts that keep *me* going back. I'm mainly a lurker there, but they often turn me on to interesting stuff on the web. Once in a while I've got something to say about graphic design...
No.

have
there
Relative to some besieged NG's I frequent, the signal to noise ratio here is outstanding.
The only two consistent and reliable pieces of advice you'll find are:
1) Don't feed the trolls, and
2) Develop (maintain?) some thick skin.
I've noticed over the years on Usenet that the garbage level seems to rise and fall for no apparent reason, too, so we might be on a crest...
RB