Running Vista 64 bit

I bought a 64 bit Hewlitt Packard running Vista, then discovered it wouldn't load some of my 32 bit legacy CAD software. My son recommended Virtual PC.
I installed that, then loaded XP Pro 32 bit inside it. The CAD programs loaded and run fine, but it can't see my system printer, a simple HP 1210 PSC. I tried installing the same printer in XP Pro, but no go. I finally found something that said Virtual PC does not support USB printers??? WTF?? Anyboby encountered this, and how do I workaround? I can't print anything from the CAD programs. Is there a converter/cable that will change the USB into a serial or parallel plug? TIA
Babygrand
A search for 64-bit on the Autodesk AutoCAD support pages brought up an article that clearly states that AutoCAD is not supported on 64- bit. They are probably working on a 64-bit version, but it will most likely be ver 2010 or later. As far as Virtual PC is concerned directly connected peripherals are problematic at best in a virtual environment. They work when they are shared through a network and can be mapped to the virtual PC.
Daryl