Stair Detail

I'm a designer in Toronto, Canada with a project in Las Vegas, Nevada looking for a steel stair detail that will satisfy local code
Can anyone help?
Look in their code and design one

Actually a more usefull answer would be that you have supplied insufficient information. What type of stair? what is floor to floor height? What material? So many unknowns...where/how is the stringer attached? With this info I would be happy to design one for you for a fee.

insufficient
You might add to this list: Inside or outside? Residential or public? Utilitarian or formal? Expensive or cheap?

You lookin' for work?
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com

One more peice of information. Where is Las Vegas? There are three major jurisdictions in this area, two have adopted the 2000 IBC with signigicant amendments and one has adopted the 2003 IBC with minimal amendments.
Good luck
Nevada.

ZOOM>EXTENTS
wrote in message

lol thats a bad joke
wrote in message

Nevada
What school/program?

This year Sheridan College's Architectural 3 Yr Program But Sept 2005 I will be going to Ryerson University for my undergrad and then University of Toronto for my graduate degree. My dream is to become an architect.

DON'T DO IT !!!!!!!!!(seriously)
If there is any way you can allow yourself to be talked out of it....do so. One guy tried to talk me out of it when I was aiming at admission to UofT, but it didn't work. He just made me go into "bull moose mode". I often wonder where I'd be had I taken his advice. I've more or less decided that I'd either be dead, imprisoned, or much more affluent by now.
You should be realistic about practice before spending your life achieving it. I'd highly recommend attending the SPOT (Small Practices of Toronto) meeting the second Thursday of every month at the Granite Brew Pub. It might put the dream of practice into some perspective, or alternately, put you in contact with a bunch of "small" architects in the city who might help mentor you. The big guys will generally chew you up and spit you out.
A lot of people have romantic delusions about what an architect's life is like. Absolutely no one writes about it with even a smidge of realism, and way too many people have seen/read the "Fountainhead".
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com

this is the texas stairs spec. the one I sent below was wrong:
http://www.license.state.tx.us/ab/tas/abtas4a.htm#4.9
you can see that stair treads must be min. 11" wide:
4.9.1 General.
(1) Minimum Number. Stairs required to be accessible by 4.1 shall comply with 4.9.
(2) For mounting heights suitable in schools and other facilities used by children see section 2.1.1.
(3) Each stair adjacent to or serving an area of rescue assistance shall have a minimum clear width between handrails of 48" (1220 mm).
4.9.2 Treads and Risers. On any given flight of stairs, all steps shall have uniform riser heights and uniform tread widths. Stair treads shall be no less than 11 in (280 mm) wide, measured from riser to riser (see Fig.18(a)). Open risers are not permitted.
4.9.3 Nosings. The undersides of nosings shall not be abrupt. The radius of curvature at the leading edge of the tread shall be no greater than 1/2 in (13 mm). Risers shall be sloped or the underside of the nosing shall have an angle not less than 60 degrees from the horizontal. Nosings shall project no more than 1-1/2 in (38 mm) (see Fig. 18).
(I guess it's in Houston that the risers must be 7" MAX. I can't seem to find that link but anyway, check into the local codes for Las Vegas to be sure you're stair won't be rejected by the building inspector after it is all installed or you may be responsible - or do like a lot of slime-ball architects do and put a disclaimer on the drawing that the contractor is responsible for stair design and code requirements).
garth.
.

I was trying to *dis*courage him. If it can be done, someone should do it.

Vegas,
code
I have no disillusionment sir. I like residential design as well as commercial / industrial. If I want to design over 6000 sqft then I need to be an architect or engineer. I don't want my own practice. I don't like limitations that is my primary reason for wanting to become one. I also have my foot in the door to 7 large architecture firms in Ontario/Quebec through contacts at my work so I have guarenteed employment. Please if you have something constructive to say then say it. If not I have a long road ahead and dont need any hassle before it even begins.
Chris

I beat all those odds, Chris.
--

Michael Bulatovich, Architect
B.Arch., OAA, MRAIC

in
I wouldn't presume to tell you what is "best" for you. I don't know you. All I'm saying is that if you feel you have other options, you should seriously consider them and compare the life you will have in them compared to the life of an architect. I've never been one to focus solely on money, but as you get older you do look back and imagine where you could be living, or what you could be driving, etc., if you had applied your abilities in a more lucrative field. Personally, I have no regrets, but you might want to go into this with your eyes open.
In Canada for example, the very most financially successful architects (a literal handful) make as much in a year as a run-of-the-mill corporate lawyer, and there are *hundreds* of them. The really good lawyers make *way* more than that. There is very interesting data about income available from the OAA that may *SHOCK* you. As office staff you'll top out at 75K in today's money in about 20-25 years. Lots of other fields pay that in a couple years, and keep climbing. There is a very high risk-to-reward ratio in this business, considering all the time spent in school, job security (giggles), and liability.
Don't get sucked into a field because of the common, romantic, and unrealistic notion of what it means to be an architect, only to be one of the many who drop out at some point and have to start all over again. That's all I'm saying.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com

All
seriously
more
I have toyed with the notion of becoming a teacher at a local college. I also knew that once I became an architect I would only become a teacher anyway and freelance in my time off or vice versa.

*way*
I dont care for money. I do care about making a living. The only doubt I have is that there is a lot of time and resources that must be put into this. This worries me because I dont want to be 30 when I get out of school. Plus the years of internships which I wouldn't mind. I would have my whole youth lost in school. Any how I am rambling...

That's
I was defensive before, I appologise. I am greatful for your insight.
Thank you
Chris