Stair Detail

I'm a designer in Toronto, Canada with a project in Las Vegas, Nevada looking for a steel stair detail that will satisfy local code

Can anyone help?

Reply to
Gary J. Gattie

Look in their code and design one

Reply to
Chris Gyotar

Actually a more usefull answer would be that you have supplied insufficient information. What type of stair? what is floor to floor height? What material? So many unknowns...where/how is the stringer attached? With this info I would be happy to design one for you for a fee.

Reply to
Chris Gyotar

insufficient

You might add to this list: Inside or outside? Residential or public? Utilitarian or formal? Expensive or cheap?

You lookin' for work?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

One more peice of information. Where is Las Vegas? There are three major jurisdictions in this area, two have adopted the 2000 IBC with signigicant amendments and one has adopted the 2003 IBC with minimal amendments.

Good luck

Reply to
Allyn Vaughn

ZOOM>EXTENTS

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Well I'm still in school right now but as of now I can design anything residential and apply for a permit in Ontario. But if you have some freelance work I am on my co-op work term I would be happy to see what I can do.

Reply to
Chris Gyotar

lol thats a bad joke

Reply to
Chris Gyotar

What school/program?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

This year Sheridan College's Architectural 3 Yr Program But Sept 2005 I will be going to Ryerson University for my undergrad and then University of Toronto for my graduate degree. My dream is to become an architect.

Reply to
Chris Gyotar

DON'T DO IT !!!!!!!!!(seriously)

If there is any way you can allow yourself to be talked out of it....do so. One guy tried to talk me out of it when I was aiming at admission to UofT, but it didn't work. He just made me go into "bull moose mode". I often wonder where I'd be had I taken his advice. I've more or less decided that I'd either be dead, imprisoned, or much more affluent by now.

You should be realistic about practice before spending your life achieving it. I'd highly recommend attending the SPOT (Small Practices of Toronto) meeting the second Thursday of every month at the Granite Brew Pub. It might put the dream of practice into some perspective, or alternately, put you in contact with a bunch of "small" architects in the city who might help mentor you. The big guys will generally chew you up and spit you out.

A lot of people have romantic delusions about what an architect's life is like. Absolutely no one writes about it with even a smidge of realism, and way too many people have seen/read the "Fountainhead".

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Well Michael, you're certainly full of encouragement! =20

anywho Gary, design your stair according to the ADA and NAAMM = requirements and you should be OK. Here's the links:

CHECK THE GRABRAILS, = HANDRAILS, AND STAIRS

(get the "Metal Stairs Manual")

and for good measure, here's the OSHA link:

(get publication =

3124 "Stairways and Ladders" - free pdf download)

AND ALSO, CHECK INTO THE ACTUAL CODE FOR NEVADA - IN TEXAS, FOR EXAMPLE, = THE MAXIMUM RISE IS 7" BUT OTHER LOCATIONS VARY. =

ALSO VARY ACCORDING TO USEAGE. IE; INDUSTRIAL VS. COMMERCIAL VS. = RESIDENTIAL - SEE THE NAAMM STAIR MANUAL FOR A FULL EXPLANATION.

Garth.

Reply to
G. Willis

this is the texas stairs spec. the one I sent below was wrong:

you can see that stair treads must be min. 11" wide:

4.9.1 General.=20

(1) Minimum Number. Stairs required to be accessible by 4.1 shall = comply with 4.9.

(2) For mounting heights suitable in schools and other facilities used = by children see section 2.1.1.=20

(3) Each stair adjacent to or serving an area of rescue assistance = shall have a minimum clear width between handrails of 48" (1220 mm).

4.9.2 Treads and Risers. On any given flight of stairs, all steps shall = have uniform riser heights and uniform tread widths. Stair treads shall = be no less than 11 in (280 mm) wide, measured from riser to riser (see = Fig.18(a)). Open risers are not permitted.

4.9.3 Nosings. The undersides of nosings shall not be abrupt. The radius = of curvature at the leading edge of the tread shall be no greater than =

1/2 in (13 mm). Risers shall be sloped or the underside of the nosing = shall have an angle not less than 60 degrees from the horizontal. = Nosings shall project no more than 1-1/2 in (38 mm) (see Fig. 18).

(I guess it's in Houston that the risers must be 7" MAX. I can't seem = to find that link but anyway, check into the local codes for Las Vegas = to be sure you're stair won't be rejected by the building inspector = after it is all installed or you may be responsible - or do like a lot = of slime-ball architects do and put a disclaimer on the drawing that the = contractor is responsible for stair design and code requirements).

garth.

anywho Gary, design your stair according to the ADA and NAAMM = requirements and you should be OK. Here's the links:

CHECK THE GRABRAILS, = HANDRAILS, AND STAIRS

(get the "Metal Stairs Manual")

and for good measure, here's the OSHA link:

(get publication =

3124 "Stairways and Ladders" - free pdf download)

AND ALSO, CHECK INTO THE ACTUAL CODE FOR NEVADA - IN TEXAS, FOR EXAMPLE, = THE MAXIMUM RISE IS 7" BUT OTHER LOCATIONS VARY. =

ALSO VARY ACCORDING TO USEAGE. IE; INDUSTRIAL VS. COMMERCIAL VS. = RESIDENTIAL - SEE THE NAAMM STAIR MANUAL FOR A FULL EXPLANATION.

Garth.

Reply to
G. Willis

I was trying to *dis*courage him. If it can be done, someone should do it.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I have no disillusionment sir. I like residential design as well as commercial / industrial. If I want to design over 6000 sqft then I need to be an architect or engineer. I don't want my own practice. I don't like limitations that is my primary reason for wanting to become one. I also have my foot in the door to 7 large architecture firms in Ontario/Quebec through contacts at my work so I have guarenteed employment. Please if you have something constructive to say then say it. If not I have a long road ahead and dont need any hassle before it even begins.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Gyotar

I beat all those odds, Chris.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

So as an architect you say that I am better off staying as a designer? Every Architect I speak to says something different, but the ones that are my friends say to go for it. I will be going to Ryerson for the 4 year undergrad program regardless. Whether I take that extra step for my masters, I'll see when I get there. After being in school for 6 or 7 years depending if I finish my last year of the college program we'll see how strong my resolve is. I won't discount it yet.

Chris

constructive

architect's

news:5Khnc.105936$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Reply to
Chris Gyotar

I wouldn't presume to tell you what is "best" for you. I don't know you. All I'm saying is that if you feel you have other options, you should seriously consider them and compare the life you will have in them compared to the life of an architect. I've never been one to focus solely on money, but as you get older you do look back and imagine where you could be living, or what you could be driving, etc., if you had applied your abilities in a more lucrative field. Personally, I have no regrets, but you might want to go into this with your eyes open.

In Canada for example, the very most financially successful architects (a literal handful) make as much in a year as a run-of-the-mill corporate lawyer, and there are *hundreds* of them. The really good lawyers make *way* more than that. There is very interesting data about income available from the OAA that may *SHOCK* you. As office staff you'll top out at 75K in today's money in about 20-25 years. Lots of other fields pay that in a couple years, and keep climbing. There is a very high risk-to-reward ratio in this business, considering all the time spent in school, job security (giggles), and liability.

Don't get sucked into a field because of the common, romantic, and unrealistic notion of what it means to be an architect, only to be one of the many who drop out at some point and have to start all over again. That's all I'm saying.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

One thing to consider before it's too late - hopefully this hasn't already been covered, I haven't followed the thread in detail - is that it is almost impossible to register without a B Arch. The M Arch. is good too, of course, but can be a bitch to get into a decent accredited program. Make sure you'll be able to get Professor's recommendations, keep grades up, and don't do anything too practical, or you're sunk before you start.

Reply to
Mike Pearson