Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Cutting OCS
This newbie is asking if one messes up the chemistry of automobile leaf springs when they use acetylene to cut them? I mean a long cuts to make slender lengths, to make thinner and narrower springs. I...
5
5

Cracked fire pots?
Does anyone want to offer thoughts about the relative quality of firepots, one vendor to another? That is: do some mfr's (or sellers) firepots crack easier than others? Are some more sensitive to...
2
2

Champion Forge Blower Motor Rheostat
The rheostat was messed up on a Champion Forge blower, so it had two speeds. Off and On. First day at school was not nice, with poor coal and no low speeds...pop corn from the fire all over the place....
15
15

School this Sat and Sun.
I am going to a blacksmith school Sat and Sun in a neighboring town 35 miles away. 6 hours each day. limited to 2 students. Last weekend was another session. Both spaces were filled up but my session...
11
11

Any Volunteer blacksmith training in under developed countries going on?
Are any of you involved in teaching basic blacksmithing skills to people at the bottom of the economic ladder in developing areas or countries? Pete Stanaitis ----------------
7
7

Blacksmithing conferences and Blacksmithing
I felt compelled to say something in "Blacksmithing", just to make sure that's still the focus of this NG. Please go to rec.politics or somewhere or for these off topic things....
2
2

Cheap Labor
I have been following this OT discussion and have been waiting for someone to correct the basic assumption about new wealth being discussed, but so far no one has hit upon it yet, so I will try to...
11
11

Power Hammer of the Gods
Found this on Toolmonger this morning: get the feeling you can probably hammer out things like, oh I don't know, Titanic-grade engine props or something on a similar scale. SF!
7
7

Showing off a little - bladesmithing pics, includes some turning and carving
Hello all, I finally got someone to lend me some photographic expertise to get a couple of pictures snapped of one of my pieces, so I figured I'd share. This is my third knife, and I think it turned...
3
3

Sharp right-angle bends
I've been seeing a variety of 'recipes' for making a sharp right angle bend. - A manual from the turn of the century that has us upset the area to 1.5 times bigger, then make the bend and hammer...

A Resurgence of Blacksmithing
A Resurgence of Blacksmithing: The New York Times By MICHAEL POLLAK Published: December 23, 1999 TO understand blacksmithing's current appeal, forget about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's village smithy...
2
2

Congrats Spaco
Gday Pete, I saw your article in the current edition of the Hammer's Blow, on the poor mans hydraulic press. Thanks for writing that mate, I look forward to reading it. Regards Rusty_iron, Brisbane,...

eBay: Peter Wright double horn anvil
http://snipr.com/DoubleHornAnvil
1
1

Fire management in a coal forge
Hey, I'm a brand spankin' new smith who's having a bit of a problem. I've fired my forge twice now since I've built it, and it makes me happier than anything I've ever seen, but I'm afraid that I'm...
4
4

Recipe/availability for Repousse Pitch
I am trying to find information about making Repousse pitch. I have found several "recipes" for making pitch, but, most of them are from the early 20th century when materials weren't covered by MSDS...
9
9