Choosing an angle grinder...HELP

I was given a 4+1/2" makita as a gift years ago. I wouldn't have gotten it if I'd had picked one out. 10x1.25 treads, no spindle lock and a switch that I've never gotten used to. :/ I've had to buy a couple (not cheap) adapters for 5/8-11 threads and they are basically stuck inside certain grind stones, until they are used up, since they are a pain to remove etc. :/
As far as just plain old using it... I try it first and only go with the big 7" when I really need to. The little makita is one of my best power tools tho, despite my gripes.

I'm about the cheapest guy you'll ever know and I agree with Andy on this one. Good tools that do the job right or no tool at all is the way I see it. And those cheap grinding disks not only don't cut good they don't wear right. Always having to re-dress them to lower vibration etc. The name brand disks on the other hand are a pleasure to use. The cheap ones aren't worth it, no way, no how.
I hollow grind knife blades using what's basically a homemade bench grinder. I can accomplish that feat because of one simple reason... I learned how to setup and dress a stone for minimum vibration. I'm not looking for a medal;) I'm wanting you guys to understand how much better work can be done when vibration is low. You can feel what's going on, as opposed to being all "sight driven".

I've never needed any vibration damping like that but then I don't use flap disks. I bought a few 1" diameter, mounted ones with 1/4" shaft, and didn't like them at all. :/ I was looking for something to smooth the inside curve/s on the butt spring on slip-joint pocket knives (a stockman has one butt spring and one double ended spring) but even the double ended spring has a couple little inside curves on either side of the center pin.
Flap wheels left lines. :(
What I've found is best= the highest density de-burring wheels you can get your hands on. :) Little 1" mounted ones work like a champ too. :)
Read recently about cellular damage from vibration in my grown up version of "the weekly reader" ...science news. When I was younger I used a jack hammer quite a bit. Funny thing about those and railroaders is, if you forget to take off your fancy-ass RR approved watch it'll cost you more than you made that day. ;)
Alvin in AZ
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:02:23 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

The trouble with vibration is that you don't realise you needed it until after the damage is done. Never felt "fizzy fingers" after an hour's work with a grinder ?
Here in the UK there's a lot of industrial claiming going on these days for "vibration white finger", particularly amongst miners. This might be due to using tools 20 years ago.
I don't think I've ever handled a 7" grinder. I buy the flap wheels for them, because they're the biggest flap wheels I can get for my 9" grinder (they also reduce gyroscope effect). The only 7" machines I've seen have been mongo-dollar brands.
--
Smert' spamionam

I bought a 4" Makita from Home Depot for $29 and love it. It's made in China, obviously to Makita's specs and quality control and comes with a 2 year warranty. It feels and performs like a Japanese tool (well, I assume they used to be made in Japan). Two year warranty! How can you go wrong for $29? Gary Brady Austin, TX
Rick Barter wrote:

[...]
Some brands come with a "kit" (rubber backing and flat nut) to convert the grinder to a 4 1/2" disc sander; with others, you have to buy the kit. Stick with the major brands, their bearings last longer than the brushes - a thing not always true with the cheap stuff.
If you'd like, come by the shop Saturday morning and you can see which one of mine fits your hand.
--
Tom Stovall, CJF
Farrier & Blacksmith
Tom Stovall wrote:

Hey, that sounds good Tom. What time on Saturday? You know my email (rvb at houston dot rr dot com). Shoot me your cell phone number again so I can let you know when I'm on my way. You got any coal I could buy off you? I need a little bit.
rvb
Rick Barter wrote:
re: angle grinders

I'll be there from 7 am 'til noon.

My cell phone number is on the welcome page of my website.

Sorry, no coal - but I have plenty of propane. (g)
--
Tom Stovall, CJF
Farrier & Blacksmith
Tom Stovall wrote:

Oh, I might not be able to make it then. I've got something I have to do in the morning and won't be free until after lunch time. I guess it will have to be another time.

Great! Can I buy a bag off you? :)
By the way, I love the signature. Very funny.
rvb

If the grinder you select doesn't have the sanding setup, they will have an accessory available at a reasonable price. I really like the flap wheels rather than the flat sanding discs, but it depends on what you are doing. I got some rough flappers, that is flappers with big grit, and when I chucked it up to my Makita, they spun on the shaft. You have to use a flat nut on them. Looked like they would really chew some metal, though.
IIRC, all are about the same so the wheels are interchangeable. I need another grinder because I hate having to change from grinding wheel to cup brush. When I had a shop, I had three so I could just grab one and go.
Ahhhhhh, the good old days. Or was it the old good days. I can't remember.
STeve
SteveB wrote:

I may try both. We'll see. The horn of my stupid, crap anvil I bought isn't conical, it's more of a cone that was squished down some from the top. It sucks butt. So after much use of a file, I've decided to break down and buy a grinder. After looking at all the stuff, it seems the flap disk will be great for this, but I've never used them so I don't know.
rvb