Door pull questions...

Hello all,

I just recently found this group and have a few questions. I'd like to make some simple drawer pulls. I want to attach them from the back with a bolt through the drawer and into the back of the pull. Does anyone have a source for some kind of small threaded tubing? I could make something that would work, but wanted to see if I could buy some first. How do other people go about making drawer pulls and handles attach?

Thanks, David

Reply to
Southwest Frameworks

"Southwest Frameworks" Spaketh Thusly:

I'm not sure why you want tubing instead of threaded rod or a screw into a tapped hole in the pull.... but try the electrical section of your hardware store for lamp wiring tubing.

-- Bill H. Member VRWC

Molon Labe!

[my "reply to" address is real]
Reply to
Bill

Forge your handles (metric) drill a 5.5mm hole. tap an M6 thread, and use an M6 roofing bolt

You may have to convert to 1/4" bolt and 3/16(?) hole in merkia

-- Big Egg Hack to size. Bash to fit. Weld to join. Grind to shape. Paint to cover. My name is not "news". If you reply to that address, I won't get it

Reply to
bigegg

Historically, many pulls were installed with rivits or had spikes on them that were peened over after being inserted in a hole in the front of the drawer. You *could* shoulder down a 1/4" or 3/16" diameter shaft on the back of the pull and then put threads on it with a threading die. It could be held in place inside the drawer with a nut & lockwasher over a fender washer.

If you decide to drill & tap (easiest way) then use a guide to start the tap: drill a hole just a smidge over the size of the bolt in a

1/2" square piece of steel (that's about 12 or 13 mm for folks in metric-land) and use it to guied your tap. The number one source of broken taps are taps not begun straight...

By the way, when did the Brittish stop using inches?

Reply to
Lee Cordochorea

Officially, early 70's. I was born in '72, learnt metric at school, but stll use imperial for everything except threads, funnily enough. (metric bolts/nuts are much easier to get hold of)