Has anyone seen a press like this.

I have just bought a horizontal press picture in

anyone tell me what it actually is.

I bought it as a fly press and now can see that it is not a fly press. Sight unseen at a very good price. I am sure I will be able to use it for blacksmithing. Some good jigging and it could be a real asset in the shop. I would like to know what is was originally before I butcher it.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Looks like a wood lathe - bowl lathe to be exact - large swing and deep opening.

What happens when the handle is turned - pincers pinch ? Hum -

Martin

Mart> I have just bought a horizontal press picture in

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

What happens when you turn the wheel? Does that cause the jaws to clamp shut or does it retract the whole right side assembly?

Two thoughts. If the jaws only retract then it's probably a stock holding tool for something like a twisting machine. If the jaws retract then it might be part of a straightening machine.

I'm just SWAGing since I've never seen anything like it.

John

Reply to
Neon John

When Geoff put fingers to keys it was 5/14/07 6:13 AM...

Can't even guess from here. I've never seen such a thing either. If we are to guess or divine it's past use, close-up pictures of the working bits would help tremendously.

What's happening down in the hole? That scissors arm appears to be mounted on the right side and adjust to the left. Yes? No? What else is adjustable? Does the big fat wheel actually spin?

- CW

Reply to
Carl

It looks like a wire drawing machine

Charles

Reply to
Charles Vincent

Hello All

Sorry for the delay in replying life got the better of me and I was not able to read news groups for a few days.

The plate that the 'pincers' are mounted on moves and butts up against a stop on the bed of the machine. I would have said it was a fly press if it was vertical. It has the same screw as a fly press. It was used for bending wire for large fish hooks. The plate is connected to a ram that fits in gibbs like a lathe and when the wheel is turned moves left and right. Clear as mud I am sure.

I will try disassemble a bit and take some more pictures over the weekend to make it clearer as to how it works.

Geoff

Charles V>> I have just bought a horizontal press picture in

Reply to
Geoff

I put another picture at

I have removed the pincers and the plate they were on. If any one needs some additional picture or description please ask.

Geoff

Geoff wrote:

Reply to
Geoff

Looks like it has grease cups - those knurled brass 'knobs'. They grease the slide.

I suspect the large red wheel handle was 'spun' in a fast arc and the size contributed to momentum.

Might make a nice horizontal press - make a tail stock stop and a fixture on the ram - useful in holding 'stuff' to be process upon or glue up if wood.

Seems like it had pulling power and not made for pushing. That might be an important that it draws or pulls and not pushes. Where are the bushing/bearing. - I bet at the wheel.

Mart> I put another picture at

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Hello Martin

The configuration looks very similar to a fly press more for pushing not pulling. The things that really confuses me is the horizontal configuration and not having a 'C' configuration as per a normal fly press.

I was hoping someone had come across a press like this and would have been able to identify it for me.

The side opposite the screw has place to mount various parts. It looks to me similar to a bending press, just a very old version powered like a fly press.

In it's former life it was used for bending large fish hooks.

Thanks for the input.

Geoff

Mart> Looks like it has grease cups - those knurled brass 'knobs'.

Reply to
Geoff

I was just searching the heck out of the internet for a sheet metal - really a strip of 1.5" to 'roll over' and edge - fold over a 1/4".

Anyone know a small way - ??

Martin

Mart> Hello Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

The reason why I thought that was no support in the spindle area to force against in pushing.

I thought when searching for a edge folding unit of some kind that it might draw wire or draw flats into and trough a form of some kind.

Martin

Mart> Hello Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Sorry, but this is really not clear- are you looking for information on how to fold an edge on a strip of sheet metal, or are you looking for material or a finished part?

If it's either of the latter two, and you're looking for something in a standard gauge, I can probably help you out. If it's the former, what equipment do you have availible? Our standard method for this is to brake the part to an acute angle, and then smash it flat with a flattening die. If you're doing it at home, hammering it over the edge of something hard, and then hammering it flat should work fine- no forge required.

Reply to
Prometheus

Kinda sounds like you're looking for something more like a bead roller? I think they can do wire edged with the right dies, but don't quote me on that... --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

Kinda sounds like you're looking for something more like a bead roller? I think they can do wire edged with the right dies, but don't quote me on that... --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

Oh K - here goes.

I buy a 100' of 1.5" copper metal. It is maybe 20 ga. I want to roll over 1/4" over one edge and do it on the whole roll.

One edge is single edge - the other is a folded edge that is 1/4" deep folding over itself. Rolling an edge into a round is the same for me. Less metal - fancier roll.

Martin

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

When Martin H. Eastburn put fingers to keys it was 5/22/07 9:42 PM...

I'm not sure where to get 100' x 1.5" copper, but once you do, connect with a local vocational school or sheet metal shop. They'll be able to roll the edge in a trice.

If you want to do it by hand, get some lengths of angle iron and use them as _really_ wide jaws in a hefty vise (add some clamps or vase-grips out at the ends and clamp with 1/4" of copper sticking up. Knock it over with a (rawhide or wooden) mallet, unclamp it and knock it over the rest of the way. Except for the last few inches, use that as a guide for your next clamping.

- CW

Reply to
Carl

Also, if you do not need the entire 100' beaded in one piece, and can live with it being cut into sections 8' long or so, anyone who installs shingled roofs should have a hand-powered brake for bending flashing, and that would work pretty well for something that thin.

You could do this yourself as well, if you want to put a little time into making a table and some hardwood dies.

But I think the real answer is a set of rollers. It'll be two sets in line with one another- the first set should have two rollers on the bottom, and one "pointed" one on the top- this will crease the metal, and the second should have a pair of rollers side-by-side to press the crease closed. A guy could make something like that himself without

*too* much trouble, or just find a shop that has a similar machine.
Reply to
Prometheus

Thanks - sounds like a big project. I'm capable.

I think I'll look for a hand brake - sounds cool. Bet like my hand shear cutters. Just different. Hum.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn