used
technique:
is
an
20,000
probably
don't
All too cool, Michael. Thanks.
Harold (who recently downloaded IrfanView)

<snipped excellent post thanks:>

<I haven't seen the pictures yet but want to soon:) someday want to do basically the same thing, make steel from iron sand>
The lack of picture cropping is usually the first thing I notice.
Since I mostly use a scanner, cropping and sizing is easy as pie but for the photos I run it through PaintShop anyway. I my situation I'm using a stripped-down version that's a free demo. My son bought the real thing, but I prefer the stripped-down demo. ;)
Everytime you re-save a picture (with .jpg at the end) the picture is degraded some so the trick is to crop and rotate and re-size or re-sample before that last save.
Using the mechanical zoom feature on the camera and carefully frame the photo to start with, is a good beginning in my experience.
"Up close" with the wide angle lense setting makes everything look too fore-shortened otherwise, IME.
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/furnace.jpg
That's not even full-tilt zoom. (my girlfriend is behind the cardboard;)
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/myal1.jpg
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/myal2.jpg
I think that's the one I remarked back to him "nice lawn". ;) He's a knifemaker in Oz (automotive leak spring). :)
Alvin in AZ
DeepDiver wrote:
Regarding the bandwidth issue, the problem is not the

<snip>
Michael,
Thanks for the great explanation. I have my camera set to take images at 2048x1736 "fine" quality. That way I have HQ raw images that I burn to disc. I edit the real keepers in Photoshop down to 800x600 or whatever is appropriate. Where I went wrong is in the "save as" step. I usually save quality as 7-9 where I probably should save as 2-5. I've never paid attention as per your explanation to file sizes in relation to quality. I'll definitely experiment now!
Yes, it helped!
~Dave
Dave wrote:

Hey, I got it to download. Pretty cool, and it gives a good idea of the labor value in a piece of iron too.
Hope to see more future successes.
John