Metal black

Hello there,

I refurbish bonsai tools and I would like to find a means to reblacken these tools. Would prefer a cold process but would consider a hot process. Any help would be great.

tia, Robert

Reply to
ROBERT LAURENCE

"ROBERT LAURENCE" Spaketh Thusly:

Are they stainless steel? If not, just use cold gun bluing. You can pick up a small container at a gun store, sporting goods store, walmart, or online at Brownells. Make sure the steel is very clean and totally grease free, including *no* fingerprints. Remove the old finish and follow the intructions carefully if you want it to all be the same color. Works better if the steel is warm (but under 200 F). For better tips, google "parkerizing". If they're stainless, or chrome plated, sand and paint them.

-- Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real]

Molon Labe!

Reply to
Bill

One of the old shops we go to in Iowa used to use roofing tar mixed in wax. This was put on warm.

Reply to
781

Sounds like a variant of "Pontypool japan". Googling will give you the recipe.

Not something I'd use. It's a bit of a pain to work with and it's not the best thing for tools with a working surface like scissors.

I'd go with careful cleaning (wire wool), degreasing (acetone), and then a commercial cold-bluing solution.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
doug roberts