PICTURES and some info on that military anvil

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc/Anvil/00-Purchased/
This anvil is 33 inches long and weighs approximately 340 lbs. I tried
to measure rebound by dropping a 1 inch diameter hard bearing ball on it and measuring how high it would rebound. My best attempts at measurement ended up with rebound at 85-90%.
This anvil came with a combination cast iron/wooden base. It also had a "shelf" that can be mounted in the pritchel hole.
How much did you pay for the garden gnome?
Paul
On Nov 14, 5:19pm, Ignoramus29895 <ignoramus29...@NOSPAM. 29895.invalid> wrote:

I paid probably too much, about $2.20 per lb, but I liked its condition and the base, pritchel attachment etc. I bid online without seeing it first, aside from seeing the auction picture. The 85-90% rebound is an illustration of the principle that the military buys only the best stuff.
As far as I could tell, this anvil does not bear any "evidence of use". It is lightly rusted on top and my next step is removing that.

Very nice anvil. What did you pay per lb? Any maker markings on it? You were definitely in the right place at the right time. Cute kid, too. :-)
Rob Wichita, KS

The only marking that I could find is that letter "V" near the bottom.

Is there a 10 or 11 or 12 on it ?
Number of Stone in size. If I can recall it.
Martin
Ignoramus29895 wrote:

I could not find anything. Maybe something will show if I wirebrush off that military paint job.

In the absence of a stone weight, whch increases the liklihood of US origin, perhaps the it is a "V" as in victory? WWII
Mike Graf
Ignoramus29895 wrote:

This anvil could be of wartime era, like about half of the stuff that they sold (lots of wartime dated machinery).

My Navy desk from surplus at a (was) local naval plane maker - "Invincible" http://www.invinciblefurniture.com/index.htm The desk on the left. No longer made from what I can tell. It is a rock! Ball bearing sliders. The other desk was a nice Mahogany over-coated gray and repaired with plywood.
So Victory or model V is likely.
Martin