Quench oil what is best?

Del Cecchi wrote:

Then there's the 'both eyes open' method. Don't use the sights at all; focus on the target with both eyes. You'll see two barrels that are fuzzy and kinda 'ghosty'. Place the target between the ghost images of the barrels... fire. You can't miss.
Charly

Two letters and one word: CB Caps. :)
--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 07:55:28 -0500, John Husvar wrote:

In my case, it's just as a bad an option as a .22l, besides those things are a little pricey. :)
matthew

True, but they're virtually silent out of a .22 rifle. I understand about being where it's illegal, and worse, un-PC to discharge any firearm for any reason short of self-life-defense. You might get a fine even for that. :)
--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 08:18:08 -0500, John Husvar

Silent, yes- useful, no. When I was youngster, we didn't have a whole lot of money, so my old man would send us out most days after school to shoot squirrels during small game season. It was about a two-mile hike to cross the town line, so on really cold days, we'd just cross the street and hunt in the woodlot there. Because it was "in town" (sort of) we had to be quiet, so that meant CB caps or pellet guns. Didn't take long to find out that a good pellet gun would kill a squirrel more quietly and reliably than a CB cap any day.
Don't think I'll ever forget the day I shot a grey squirrel in the side of the head with a CB cap from about 50 feet away, and the thing fell over, shook a little, then got up and ran away. On the other hand, all projectiles are potentially dangerous- there *was* one (and only one) occasion where I took a deer with a CB cap, but it was a one-in-a-million shot right through the eye. (Yes, I always take head shots- I don't want to chase things that are wounded and suffering, I don't take trophies, and it preserves the most meat.)