After a few days of studying chaining....

wrote:

It has no stepover, no place to tell it how much to step over or how deep to go a pass. But I love the merge gimmic. Cavity mill does the same thing with multiple stepover passes, but it has no merge. It's like the two commands are from 2 different pieces of software they merged and couldn't decide which one to keep. Those can cut selected faces. Then they have the ones that work on curves/edges. Do the same damn shit only with a twist. It's insane. I bet they could merge all those commands into one. Cavity mill is almost there. All it needs is merge so if you have gaps your toolpath can jump across making nice clean path that isn't all jumping around. It kills me to run commands that are the same, except one has this sweet gimmic, and this other cut has this other sweet gimmic. It's heart breaking as hell !!!!!! lol
It's so weird because you keep looking for the command. But it's not in cavity mill, its in planer mill. You go in planer mill and its exactly the same, except...where the hell is the stepover amount? Shit, there is none? wtf? lol
The planer cuts that can cut picked faces like cavity mill, have a depth controlling gimmic, real sweet. The planer cuts that use edges or curves has a DIFFERENT but equally as sweet depth controlling gimmic. Problem is you wan't BOTH!! Either or would kick ass, one way is super fast, one way is super controllable.
The whole manufacturing is like that. But odly enough, not the modeling or drafting. That stuff is pretty damn consistant.
But so far Iv'e been wrong on my assumptions 74% of the time with this software.

well, technically we are talking about boundries, whether those are made or the end of an edge. It's the way the cutter will react to the edge of the boundry, whether that boundry is picked curves, or just the edge of a part. I got "on". A cutter will go to the centerline of the cutter and the boundry. I got "contact". If your cutting right on the surface it's the same as "center" on a ball mill anyway. But if your cutting deeper,it will stop when it hits or contacts the boundry as if the boundry was at the z level of the surface you were cutting into. What I don't get 100 % is tanto. Its supposedly the edge of the cutter aligned with the boundry. Whats so "tangent to" about that?
"Tanto" is the way you would cut a pocket. "On" is the way you cut a surface on the top of your part with a ball mill. "Contact" is ...hmmm....now this bitch is badass if you think about it. Say you want to chamfer stuff. You make a 45 degree chamfer tool. You get or create your path or boundry and you set it to contact. Now you cut that boundry .030 deep, and because your tool is angled it will move away as it goes deeper cutting the same chamfer. Because of the "contact" setting. So you just jam any size cutter in and cut as deep as you want, it will maintain the distance needed to make contact. Actually, thats the only thing I can think of it can do?