Can any cam system do this?

Ok, thanks to your post I am now on track. What I did was load in the designers part file and did a "save as". basically braking the link to the original. So now my new process is open up a new file and load the part in as a component so I can take advantage of knowing if the model has changed, and using wave link to make local changes.
Thanks for the heads up.
Reply to
vinny
You want the truth? You can't handle the truth. :>)
The truth is you *still* can't explain in detail how Cimatron approaches drilling holes with the same tool (say a spot drill) to different depths without creating / moving geometry to different depths. Only way Mastercam can do this is using "Change At Point"... which is such a poor tool it's not used by most experienced Mastercam users.
Cimatron can't rule because they can't market. Like most CADCAM companies they also can't effectively explain how their product works. Luckily Cimatron's former employees can and do on the SolidCAM website. See The Jon Banquer blog for the reasons why SolidCAM does such a good job of explaining how their product works while most of the rest of the CADCAM companies fail miserably at this task.
I wonder how he'd feel about having a car company named after him who thought the way to go was to take a Lotus Elise and put an electric motor in it.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Reply to
jon_banquer
Vinny had SolidWorks and for years and he couldn't figure out assemblies. If Vinny had learned SolidWorks assemblies he wouldn't be showing what a complete idiot he is now. Same is true with using Mastercam's WCS, which despite all of its problems is still much better than moving geometry off the original datum.
Perhaps I'm wrong and Florida really is the best place for Vinny to stay. It's no wonder Yankee's move down to Florida and take over.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Reply to
jon_banquer
Would you mind describing IN YOUR OWN WORDS, problems that YOU specifically have had with WCS?
Reply to
Joe788
The CAM system has Feature Recognition. When the CAM system can't figure it out you teach it.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Reply to
jon_banquer
You want the truth? You can't handle the truth. :>)
The truth is you *still* can't explain in detail how Cimatron approaches drilling holes with the same tool (say a spot drill) to different depths without creating / moving geometry to different depths. Only way Mastercam can do this is using "Change At Point"... which is such a poor tool it's not used by most experienced Mastercam users. ****** drilling holes? Now your wigging over drilling holes? Jeesh, what's next, chamfers? ******
******* salesman talk again? *******
I wonder how he'd feel about having a car company named after him who thought the way to go was to take a Lotus Elise and put an electric motor in it.
****** ? He's like the father of electricity you moron? The only way to honor him more is to have it use wireless electricity and flourescent lights. ******
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
"Help...I can't make mastercam drill holes fast enough?" Hell if all your doing is making holes use gcode. Make a master program with all the different drilling cycles in it and spit out the holes with their depths using dxf and autocad version 10 from the 80's.
Jeesh man, if you cant make mastercam drill holes the way you want...you might be retarded. Making holes is what mastercam does best? What are you doing, drilling points? Your not using solids? Not using block drilling operations?
quote: "which is such a poor tool it's not used by most experienced Mastercam users."
Well, at least you mention experienced mastercam users in third person...not including yourself by default.
Reply to
vinny
The CAM system has Feature Recognition. When the CAM system can't figure it out you teach it.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Ok I'm gonna ignore my humility and insult feature recognition.. IT SUX! The first ones to hit us with feature recognition was hole drilling. Makes sence, I was doing feature recognition using a homegrown proggy written in gwbasic and reading dxf files over 20 years ago. No big deal there. The second ones to hit us with that was wire edm programming.... Well, usually wire edm is simply cutting closed profiles, pockets, holes, etc...again...no big deal there..
But thats where it ends. When feature recognition can see an open profile or a 3d face I'll be impressed, untill then it's a sales gimmic. I would use it on moldbases, which are mostly holes and pockets, but then again, gwbasic would work just as good on a 286. To even pretend feature recognition can read a new file and apply toolpaths proves you have a salesman mentality.
Reply to
vinny
With all this power now comes responsibility. Use The Force wisely. .
Assemblies are the bomb.
-- Bill
Reply to
Bill
Much too simplistic an answer and doesn't get to many of the core problems with Feature Recognition.
Most of the problems with Feature Recognition are based on how most CAM companies choose to approach it. For example, it's easy to see where Mastercam's Z level Feature Recognition produces inefficient toolpaths and that's why almost all Mastercam users try and and say forget it. On the other hand FeatureCAM doesn't force the user to use Z level Feature Recognition and makes the Feature Recognition process much more interactive and flexible.
Another major problem with Feature Recognition is that in most CAM applications you have to spend a ton of time building a machining library and machining job shops don't want to pay machinists to do this. You simply don't have to do this in FeatureCAM.
It's also a major problem that most CAM companies don't do their own Feature Recognition. FeatureCAM doesn't use GSSL's technology.
Finally, there is a marketing problem. Siemens marketing after a great start is dead and it's back to the way UGS use to market. Siemens doesn't have experienced machinists doing demo's and handling sales of NX. This results in that potential new customers are turned off and don't get a good understanding of a very complex program. NX requires an expert machinist with years of diverse machining job shop knowledge to demonstrate. The west coast is not a Siemens NX strong hold. The midwest is and this is yet another problem for potential west coast NX customes who work for very large companies and must deal direct with Siemens.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Reply to
jon_banquer
Jon, when you are using a cadcam system we can go into detail.
-- Bill
Reply to
Bill
Detail isn't your specialty. Worthless broad based sweeping generalities are.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Reply to
jon_banquer
Jon, when you are using a cadcam system we can go into detail.
Reply to
Bill
Most of what you post sounds familiar and is worthless because it lacks detail and insight.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Reply to
jon_banquer
TRANSLATION:
I'm trying to suck free information out of you without you knowing it but I think you've caught on to me. Pretty soon I will start talking about how little you know and classify you as a moron with all the others that have figured me out. That's how I twist things around in my crazy lil mind.
******************************************************************************* Pretty close there ain't I, liljonnie?? I''ve always had your "number", haven't I ? :)
Barn....the real genius
barn
The truth is you *still* can't explain in detail or with screen shots how Cimatron approaches drilling holes with the same tool (say a spot drill) to different depths without creating / moving geometry to different depths. Only way Mastercam can do this is using "Change At Point".. which is such a poor tool it's not used by most experienced Mastercam users.
How long will I have to Holzem my breath waiting for you to answer such a basic question?
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Reply to
jon_banquer
The truth is you *still* can't explain in detail or with screen shots how Cimatron approaches drilling holes with the same tool (say a spot drill) to different depths without creating / moving geometry to different depths. Only way Mastercam can do this is using "Change At Point".. which is such a poor tool it's not used by most experienced Mastercam users.
How long will I have to Holzem my breath waiting for you to answer such a basic question?
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
***** you won't even tell us how to square up a block.
Reply to
vinny
The truth is you *still* can't explain in detail or with screen shots how Cimatron approaches drilling holes with the same tool (say a spot drill) to different depths without creating / moving geometry to different depths. Only way Mastercam can do this is using "Change At Point".. which is such a poor tool it's not used by most experienced Mastercam users.
How long will I have to Holzem my breath waiting for you to answer such a basic question?
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Reply to
jon_banquer
Yep, have more seats of Cimatron than Mastercam where I work.
Nope, haven't yet put forth the time and effort to learn it.
Reply to
Black Dragon
Using a cam system? I'm still waiting for you to tell us how you square up a block, the most basic of all machining? Seems the truth is you never squared up a block. That's why I think your a purchasing agent. That and all the sales talk.
Reply to
vinny
Do us all a favor and stop letting him wind you up.
It doesn't matter.
Reply to
Scott