Can any cam system do this?

Vinny had SolidWorks and for years and he couldn't figure out assemblies. If Vinny had learned SolidWorks assemblies he wouldn't be showing what a complete idiot he is now. Same is true with using Mastercam's WCS, which despite all of its problems is still much better than moving geometry off the original datum.
Perhaps I'm wrong and Florida really is the best place for Vinny to stay. It's no wonder Yankee's move down to Florida and take over.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Would you mind describing IN YOUR OWN WORDS, problems that YOU specifically have had with WCS?
Should be:
Vinny gets no free pass. :>)
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

I work with alot of Catia files that are made in "Aircraft coordinates"...usually things like wing spars & such. Ya import the things in to Mastercam & they are way the fuck out in left field. Flat faces are pretty much non-existent. What I usually do is create a few lines from the high & low point of the model & rotate & translate the thing to where I want the origin. Takes a minute or 2...but not long. One of our current projects is rebuilding the wing spars for the A-10 Warthog.....Solid models for these do not exist.....nor is there any more forgings....so we do a solid hog out. Ya get a loft chart and start keying in points....& they are all done in aircraft coordinates. How the fuck they actually came up with all of these points in '72 is beyond me. Some of this stuff took me a week to model up...and 2 days to machine out. Government work does pay well tho...

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth. :>)
The truth is you *still* can't explain in detail how Cimatron approaches drilling holes with the same tool (say a spot drill) to different depths without creating / moving geometry to different depths. Only way Mastercam can do this is using "Change At Point"... which is such a poor tool it's not used by most experienced Mastercam users.

Cimatron can't rule because they can't market. Like most CADCAM companies they also can't effectively explain how their product works. Luckily Cimatron's former employees can and do on the SolidCAM website. See The Jon Banquer blog for the reasons why SolidCAM does such a good job of explaining how their product works while most of the rest of the CADCAM companies fail miserably at this task.

I wonder how he'd feel about having a car company named after him who thought the way to go was to take a Lotus Elise and put an electric motor in it.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth. :>)
The truth is you *still* can't explain in detail how Cimatron approaches drilling holes with the same tool (say a spot drill) to different depths without creating / moving geometry to different depths. Only way Mastercam can do this is using "Change At Point"... which is such a poor tool it's not used by most experienced Mastercam users. ****** drilling holes? Now your wigging over drilling holes? Jeesh, what's next, chamfers? ******

******* salesman talk again? *******

I wonder how he'd feel about having a car company named after him who thought the way to go was to take a Lotus Elise and put an electric motor in it.
****** ? He's like the father of electricity you moron? The only way to honor him more is to have it use wireless electricity and flourescent lights. ******
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
"Help...I can't make mastercam drill holes fast enough?" Hell if all your doing is making holes use gcode. Make a master program with all the different drilling cycles in it and spit out the holes with their depths using dxf and autocad version 10 from the 80's.
Jeesh man, if you cant make mastercam drill holes the way you want...you might be retarded. Making holes is what mastercam does best? What are you doing, drilling points? Your not using solids? Not using block drilling operations?
quote: "which is such a poor tool it's not used by most experienced Mastercam users."
Well, at least you mention experienced mastercam users in third person...not including yourself by default.

The truth is you *still* can't explain in detail or with screen shots how Cimatron approaches drilling holes with the same tool (say a spot drill) to different depths without creating / moving geometry to different depths. Only way Mastercam can do this is using "Change At Point".. which is such a poor tool it's not used by most experienced Mastercam users.
How long will I have to Holzem my breath waiting for you to answer such a basic question?
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

***** you won't even tell us how to square up a block.

The truth is you *still* can't explain in detail or with screen shots how Cimatron approaches drilling holes with the same tool (say a spot drill) to different depths without creating / moving geometry to different depths. Only way Mastercam can do this is using "Change At Point".. which is such a poor tool it's not used by most experienced Mastercam users.
How long will I have to Holzem my breath waiting for you to answer such a basic question?
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Using a cam system? I'm still waiting for you to tell us how you square up a block, the most basic of all machining? Seems the truth is you never squared up a block. That's why I think your a purchasing agent. That and all the sales talk.

Do us all a favor and stop letting him wind you up.
It doesn't matter.

But he's so easy. Takes much more skill to do it to Brewer. Got to love that Optima Drill grinder. That's my boy, Tommy. You work hard for me. Good boy! ;>)
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

MastercamMastercamMastercamMastercamMastercam wah wah wah wah 4 th fuck'n time now: I don't do alot of hole drilling in Cimatron, I can & have many times long long ago. no problemo. As stated previously, GO TO HURCO, USE DXF FILE FOR LOCATIONS,DRILL ya dumb SOB. Why use a Ferrari(Cimartron) for elementary drilling?
Keep UR Hurco organized with HOLDZEM
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/MVC-626F.JPG
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/MVC-234F.JPG
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/MVC-101F.JPG
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/MVC-102F.JPG
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/8receipt-organizer_desk.jpg

FYI its HOLDZEM dude. Don't fuck up the pronunciation /annunciation proclamation I too am still waiting for your answers as previously asked. WTF gives man? Can't Understand Normal Thinking?= .... And so is all the rest of Ur buds here, by what I'm reading.
Are ya ready to be the West Coast HOLDZEM distributor? You could be a 10percenter? Better think about it. Because you sure aint doing good at this shit.
Cimatron rules, everything else druels. Good luck with that.
ok you need help. see doctor Phil
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/drphil.jpg
if all else fails:
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/F-It_Im_going_home.jpg
Special alt.machines.cnc offer: Send me your mailing address by e-mail & I'll send you some Holdzem's for the cost of USPS, around $3-4 in US. otherwise: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280297868987&categ ...
--

\|||/
(o o)

Successful companies use Hurco's to Get'er done.
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/SSPX0180.jpg
--
___ ___
/ /\ / /\

Successful companies use Hurco's to Get'er done.
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/SSPX0180.jpg
******************
Friggin things are almost bulletproof, until you get a moron who thinks spindle bearings are like wheel bearings....
And thinks he can rebuuild the spindle rather than lay out $3500 for the cartridge (probably $5k now days).
And then cant understand why it eats tools.

The CAM system has Feature Recognition. When the CAM system can't figure it out you teach it.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

The CAM system has Feature Recognition. When the CAM system can't figure it out you teach it.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Ok I'm gonna ignore my humility and insult feature recognition.. IT SUX! The first ones to hit us with feature recognition was hole drilling. Makes sence, I was doing feature recognition using a homegrown proggy written in gwbasic and reading dxf files over 20 years ago. No big deal there. The second ones to hit us with that was wire edm programming.... Well, usually wire edm is simply cutting closed profiles, pockets, holes, etc...again...no big deal there..
But thats where it ends. When feature recognition can see an open profile or a 3d face I'll be impressed, untill then it's a sales gimmic. I would use it on moldbases, which are mostly holes and pockets, but then again, gwbasic would work just as good on a 286. To even pretend feature recognition can read a new file and apply toolpaths proves you have a salesman mentality.

Much too simplistic an answer and doesn't get to many of the core problems with Feature Recognition.
Most of the problems with Feature Recognition are based on how most CAM companies choose to approach it. For example, it's easy to see where Mastercam's Z level Feature Recognition produces inefficient toolpaths and that's why almost all Mastercam users try and and say forget it. On the other hand FeatureCAM doesn't force the user to use Z level Feature Recognition and makes the Feature Recognition process much more interactive and flexible.
Another major problem with Feature Recognition is that in most CAM applications you have to spend a ton of time building a machining library and machining job shops don't want to pay machinists to do this. You simply don't have to do this in FeatureCAM.
It's also a major problem that most CAM companies don't do their own Feature Recognition. FeatureCAM doesn't use GSSL's technology.
Finally, there is a marketing problem. Siemens marketing after a great start is dead and it's back to the way UGS use to market. Siemens doesn't have experienced machinists doing demo's and handling sales of NX. This results in that potential new customers are turned off and don't get a good understanding of a very complex program. NX requires an expert machinist with years of diverse machining job shop knowledge to demonstrate. The west coast is not a Siemens NX strong hold. The midwest is and this is yet another problem for potential west coast NX customes who work for very large companies and must deal direct with Siemens.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
jon_banquer wrote:

Jon, when you are using a cadcam system we can go into detail.
-- Bill