Gaging Amplifier And Probes

I recently picked up a Starrett Height Transfer gage.... really nice
piece of equipment as it's very easy to dial in 1/2 millionth or
better... try that with one of those popular cheap Chinese Mitutoyo
knock offs. Actually even the original isn't Mitutoyo isn't great for
this kind of thing.
I am thinking about getting a gaging amplifier and a probe to play
around with. Anything I should be aware of, as I've never used one.
Jon Banquer
San Diego, CA
Reply to
jon_banquer
Brass or dead-blow hammer?
-- Tom
brewertr
ROFLMAO......Jon Banquer claiming he knows how to manually dial in 1/2 millionth.....what was the repeatability.
EXACTLY what equipment did you use to dial in .0000005"?
-- Tom
brewertr
Are you sure about the one half millionth? That's one 20th of one tenth. I think thats the thickness of a helium atom? lol
Seriously though, the last place I worked had them in every room, they are the bomb for sure. What I liked is you could check over 20 inches well within a tenth all day long. I wish I had one on my surface plate. Maybe with the economy the way it is we will be able to pick them up for 20 bucks at auctions.
As far as the gaging amplifiers, theyv'e actually been around for 25+ years. People seem to use them a lot when using long point indicators. It can turn a 3" long point indicator into one capable of showing a half tenth of movement if you have things rigid. Pick up an old used one and hook new indicator tips to it, the technology is the same as it is now, except maybe the backround paper will be yellow, but the precision of the needle and electronics is prolly better the older it is.
Reply to
vinny
U Da Man....lil jonnie doofus......U Da Man.......a lil lyin lil man but UDAMAN none the less.
keep postin.....you're funny. Your idiocy just keeps shinin thru. :)
Barn
Reply to
barn_rubble
Nope made a mistake and unlike most of the other idiots in this thread I'm man enough to admit when I make a mistake.
I meant 50 millionths... 1/2 a tenth.
Not $20 but $150 to $100 should be no problem. Do you remember what brand you used?
There seem to be two types of probes. What kind of probe are you referring to?
I tend to doubt older electronics are better. Got some proof of this?
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Reply to
jon_banquer
The two types appear to be lever and plunger and you are obviously referring to the lever type.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Reply to
jon_banquer
Only saw your mistake, who else are you saying made a mistake in this thread?
-- Tom
brewertr
Here is a gaging amplifier for less than $100
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Reply to
jon_banquer
Hey....lil jonnie.....when you say "other idiots" you're callin yourself an idiot too......i think you're a lil retarded. :)
Yea....thats an ongoing trait of yours......admittin when you make a mistake.....you're funny.
YourPal Barn
Reply to
barn_rubble