intersting machine shop discussion.....

I pose a question to start this thread.....this is serious. This needs crossposted. All please jump in and give your 2 cents.

Seems to me there's 2 lines of thought when it comes to overtime. Group A thinks when the work slows down, you slow down accordingly or you will run out and be laid off. Group B never slows down, its always head down, butt up and make chips!
What group do you belong to, and why?
I belong to group B, no...not group W lol. I feel... kick ass ALL the time and when I run out they will feel pressure to keep me busy if they know Im always trying to make a buck. I back it up by trying to do as many different things as I can, and throw in repairs to machines, cleaning, trasining, organizing, R and D, etc.... Topped off with taking my time off when its consistant with the work flow. This year the lowest week I had was in the summer, 49hrs. Over half the shops been on 40 hours half the year.(100+ people) I think plan b is more viable. But Id like to hear the argument for the other side. I promise not to use the words slug, bum, etc... Nor will I point out the northerners seem to be all A's.
The reason for this post is where I work, the "A's" hate me, thinking if I wasnt there they would have overtime. This doesnt bother me because I know how it works. The biggest fear from a big long term shop isnt running out of work, its being overloaded, and having to be late on jobs. In my profession we built tools that go in presses. Those presses rent for thousands a week, sometime a day depending on its size. So they schedule the press for a given date...when your late....it sits there going chching. A week late could be 20-30 grand in charges.
So..... they turn down work left and right. I figure put pressure on them and they will take more work in. Its been working so far.
I feel you should go full speed, using all your brain 100% of the time. Theres always tooling, training, cleaning, etc... to fill in the gaps.
By the way, most of the 'A's" at my shop are at 40 hours. I can work sunday if I want. And they are mad at me, saying dumb shit like "they like him so they give him hours"....Im sure a lot of you know its not because they like me lol.
What's ya'lls taske on this?
On 12/6/2013 05:37, vinny wrote:

I'm in group B. Last year averaged 48.2 hours per week for the year. Could work more, but I'm not as young as I used to be. Guess which group gets the better raises.
--
Steve Walker
snipped-for-privacy@frontierbrain.com (remove brain when replying)

I do not know. Things are messed up. lol My answer would be...uhhh...nobody gets raises lol