Lathe turret repair

  1. use light oil on index coupling?

  1. I have 4 taper pin holes in x axis side of coupling but only 3 holes in the x axis body, and 1 pin installed. From what I have read most turrets have 4 complete holes, 2 empty and 2 with pins, does 1 out of 3 sound light for my Hyundai? OK just looked in the parts book lists a qty of 1, so that must be correct.

  2. When indexing tools do you guys stop coolant? Every program in the machine, when I got it, left coolant on, The examples in the book always have a M9 before a tool change. Leave on to flush out chips? turn off because there could be chips in the coolant? I started to put M9's in all my code.

  1. disassembled to clean, keep getting turret time out errors.

Randy Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Randy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sure. A light grease will probably hold up better.

Just remember to ream the damaged hole after aligning the turret. Otherwise you'll soon run out of good holes to use for quick alignments. Always use a fresh taper pin as well, even if the old one looks ok.

The turret probably lifts during index which uncouples the coolant connection to the turret. If so, shut it off. Besides, it's pretty rare that the manual recommends something that is not needed or would otherwise hurt the machine.

Check the timer settings if it is indexing properly. If it is a hydraulic index it could need an oil change. If it is a servo index someone might have slowed it down to fix a problem or because they were scared.

Reply to
D Murphy

I did not want anything that would hold chips.

I left it as was, may need to do an alignment later, I have not crashed it, (yet), don't know when the last crash was.

It does uncouple, now that I had it apart I know how it works. Manual does not really specify anything, just going by their sample programs.

Hydraulic. don't know where the timers are. will take some looking into.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Randy,

Typically there are 4 holes--and you want to always have 2 pins installed in a pair of them...but not in the other pair, you will leave them empty instead, except maybe shove a cork like a foam ear plug or perhaps a wooden dowell into there to keep them clean..

--that way, if you crash.....you can quickly remove the sheared pin remnants and then install new pins into the previously empty holes .....then ( after double checking your alignment ) your up and running again...

BUTonce youve got everything all dialed in again you definately want to re-ream the damaged holes so that new pins can be quickly put into them for an "instant fix" in the event the turret happens to get bumped again...

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Hyundai must not be typical. Where can get 8mm taper pins drilled and tapped for removal? The ones in my machine are tapped 10-32 so they must be "homemade". I would expect metric threads in a metric pin.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

We use grease

We don't have the pins in most of our machines. We indicate the tool slot in tool disk parallel to X ways. Once upon a time we only used the taper pin to align the curvic to the tool disk, then lock down the bolts followed by removing the taper pin and putting it in the control panel. Not everyone got the message and most of the tapers are messed up. We have a lot of crashes, usually due to chip blow outs or idiot operators that don't use those neat little buttons that let you prove out the program before poking and hoping.

No opinion

Is it indexing to the correct tool? If so, check turret clamp switch.

Wes

Reply to
clutch