lesson learned, never push the stop button during a toolchange.

I had to edit the program and re-run the same tool so I hit the stop button. the machine had just taken tool 4 out of the spindle when I hit stop. It took me over half an hour to get the machine going again. What a pain in the butt.

Now I know better either be faster on the stop or let it finish the cycle.

Fanuc 0m-c on a YCI supermax rebel.

The group needs some on topic stuff.

"Randy the new guy"

remove 333 to email reply. Thanks, Randy

Reply to
Randy

That's why I usually hit single cycle, unless it is in the middle of a long G01 move. Usually it is running a lot of short moves, or a tool change, that stops it where it feels "comfortable"

Pete

Reply to
3t3d

Randy, I had a similar experience the other day.

We had a power failure during the middle of a tapping cycle. After power came back on I referenced the machine and went to the start of the tap portion of the program. Machine positioned to the correct place but the spindle would not rotate and just sat over the hole to be tapped.

I turned the machine offseveral times, even unplugging it from the outlet at one point. I MDI'd an M30, M80, the entire "stop tapping mode" nothing seemed to work.

Finally I ran the program from the start, and viola the part tapped.

I looked at the start up lines at the beginning of the program and couldn't see anything that would have cancelled, or prevented the tapping from occuring.

Fanuc OMi

Reply to
Garlicdude

Add M01 someplace just prior each tool change ???

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

I have the manual section number on 'toolchanger rescue' written in sharpie on the front of my machine. If my air pressure dips during toolchange it is a friggin nightmare

Reply to
yourname

I should not need to do this again, and don't want a M01 in every program before a tool change. I have put M1 in a few programs I've written to clear chips or check things, and an extra M1 would just complicate things.

remove 333 to email reply. Thanks, Randy

Reply to
Randy

Put a block delete slash in front of the M1, then it's there if you need it, and not in the way if you don't.

Bill Smith

Reply to
Bill Smith

Funny, and I thought I was the only one that did this. Except my toolchanger rescue sequence is written in pencil! It is pretty much burned in my head now.

ca

P.S. Power failures, mid cycle stops etc... Restarting the machine, never resets non-volatile ram, or soft parameters that change during a cycle.

Reply to
clay

When *I* want a reliable process, *I* use M00 to clear chips, etc.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Another fun one is running out of Z travel in the middle of rigid tapping. :-(

ff

Reply to
ff

We do this routinely.

Complicate things? Doesn't this machine have an 'optional stop' switch?

If not, does it have 'block delete' like Bill Smith suggests?

Reply to
Thomas Nulla

Randy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Did you hit E-stop or feed hold? Most machines won't screw up the tool changer if you hit feed hold, but E-stop is a whole different deal.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Murphy

"ff" shared >

What happened? Didn't the spindle stop? Were you able to get the program to run by resetting the tool and using a stub holder? BTW, I'm a true believer in single-block the first run through. Call me chicken if you want. I can take it.

Reply to
Kathy

Randy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The Single Block button is your friend.

Reply to
Anthony

Just the opposite. The tap made it almost to the bottom of the first hole and the control alarmed out because it reached the Z minus lower limit. I had to hold the toolholder with vise grips and loosen the collet so I could jog the spindle up leaving the tap in the part. Then after removing it with a tap wrench I put the tap in a longer holder.

fred

Reply to
ff

Feed hold is what I hit. and it stopped the canned cycle right where it was. I would expect the machine to go stupid if I had hit E-stop.

adding a block skip with a M1 before each tool change would not really work for me as I write all my "coolant on" M8's with a block skip in front so when I dry run the program to check it I don't get coolant. If only Fanuc made their dry run button auto skip coolant on's. I used to push dry run then walk around the back of the machine and unplug the coolant pump, then test run. The /m8 was suggested a few months ago when I asked for help.

remove 333 to email reply. Thanks, Randy

Reply to
Randy

I usually hit the "single block" button to let it finish the tool change.

JohnF

Reply to
JohnF

Randy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's due to the way the builder set up the machine then. You could check with them and see if there is a keep relay or some other option to allow it to complete the tool change and then stop. I would use /M1 or //M1 if you have the option of multiple block skips.

Again That's all in the way the builder set up the control on the machine. There is nothing in the Fanuc control that prevents the machine from auto skipping the M8 command when in dry run. Most builders provide their machining centers with , , coolant buttons. When is selected the coolant never comes on with the M08 command.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Murphy

remove 333 to email reply. Thanks, Randy

Reply to
Randy

: >

: >

: >>Another fun one is running out of Z travel in the middle of rigid : >>tapping. :-( : >>

: >>

: >>

: >

: >What happened? Didn't the spindle stop? Were you able to get the program to : >run by resetting the tool and using a stub holder? : >BTW, I'm a true believer in single-block the first run through. Call me : >chicken if you want. I can take it. : >

: >

: >

: >

: Just the opposite. The tap made it almost to the bottom of the first : hole and the control alarmed out because it reached the Z minus lower : limit. I had to hold the toolholder with vise grips and loosen the : collet so I could jog the spindle up leaving the tap in the part. Then : after removing it with a tap wrench I put the tap in a longer holder. : I would have figured that out- longer not shorter holder. And I know. Single block doesnt work in a tap cycle. In and out is inthe same block.

Reply to
Kathy