Miller Trailblazer 55G further questions...stuck valve

wrote:

Moi? Si...a well advanced case.....
Ive been told I tend to lean towards "stubborn" as well, though I cant imagine why....shrug
Makes me somewhat desireable as a repair tech...I seldom ever shrug and walk away from a problem. And yes..Ive lost my ass on some service calls. Which sort of balances out the ones Ive walked in, fixed it in 2 minutes, billed em for a 1 hour minimum, and walked out.
Gunner

John and Ig are wimps! Minor setback, you now have to get a valve and maybe a guide. Too bad I threw all my parts away when I got rid of the Clark. However, now it's easy to get out. I like the welded nut and slide hammer. Those valves won't be sodium filled, will they?
Ignoramus2031 wrote:

You give up, way too easy. :(
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 15:40:04 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Indeed. The man obviously never heard of "mission oriented" The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality", John F. Kennedy.
Gunner Asch wrote:

I had a seized Chevy 292 20+ years ago in a Union City steel bodied Chevy Step Van. I got lucky with the original Breakfree penetrating oil. Then I needed a gas tank, front grill, fender on the passenger side, a back bumper, and to fix a couple holes in the roof that you could put your fist through. I spend $8 to get the engine running, another &8 to make an all aluminum tube grill, 97 cents to make a rear bumper, and another $50 for all the other repairs. BTW, I used 26 pounds of #6 3/8" self tapping sheet metal screws and over 100 pounds of aluminized stainless steel to do the rest of the body work. The screws were $1.50 a pound, and the aluminized stainless was not only free, but cut to size, and had the edges bent. The hardest part was replacing the lower door tracks without dismantling half the body. I spent about two weeks fixing the truck, and a month loading it twice, for the two trips south. I drove the truck over 5000 miles without removing the valve cover, but I did have to put new bearings in the starter, and replace the missing alternator. I found a 83 amp in a junk yard for $5. The guy misread it, and said it was 30 amps, After a little gunk, it looked brand new, and worked like new.
BTW, my typing may not be up to par. I had a palsy in my right eye about seven weeks ago, and I am legally blind in my left eye, when not wearing glasses. Even with them I have very limited vision. Low light sensitivity, and poor color rendering. The VA doctors are making me wait at least three months to see if it starts to heal, on its own. In the meantime, I can set the font size in Netscape to read the messages in a large font, but it doesn't affect the new window needed to reply.
I am more or less dead in the water, and have had to put at least ten pages of projects on hold.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 20:50:15 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Im really really sorry to hear this.
Hang in there. Try to do projects that are in your current ability, so the healing time wont be a waste.
Gunner Asch wrote:

About all I can do is a little bit of cleaning in the shop. I already have enough scars & sores on my legs that I don't want to do more damage by bumping into things I can't see. I did find two banana boxes full of Mini tower / AT power supplies, if you still need some.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 00:57:35 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

250 watt or bigger, yes indeed
Gunner

Gunner:
Actually, I'm more interested in the story behind the burn pictures at your site.
http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/Burns
Are you all healed, or inflexible due to scabs?
-- BottleBob http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:43:34 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

oh that little thing? I was inside a machine base, cutting out a bearing, and my leathers got hung up and while trying to free myself..dropped the torch. It landed pointing directly at my knee, and through the leathers...I was madly flapping my knee as I had to reach down through the flame with my right hand to grab the torch.
No big deal, doesnt even hurt (burned the nerves) and the scab is nearly all gone. The burn down the right hand and wrist..that still hurts, but neither has caused me any flexibility problems.
Its been about 3 weeks or so. I heal pretty quickly..though not as quickly as when I was a kid
Thanks for asking
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality", John F. Kennedy.
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 17:35:45 -0700, Gunner Asch

But did you take anything away from the experience?
LIKE TURNING OFF THE TORCH FIRST!
Or is this just another case of you can't teach an ole dog safe tricks?
Glad to hear your OK but more importantly how's the machine?
LOL, Tom
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:12:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Oh..I was in the middle of cutting out the bearing and needed to change position when I got hung..so I didnt want to turn off the torch..and frankly..turning off then relighting an A/O rig in a tight space isnt all that safe. WHen you relight it..you always leave a small cloud of A, that doesnt blow away immediately...

Cut out the old bearing race, installed the new one, installed the shaft and pulley and voila, good as new. Then I crawled back out and checked on my knee. Shrug..had already started to bubble. So I went out to the truck and got a pair of shorts and changed. The next day was when the big bubble busted. Stopped at a 99c Only store, got some gauze pads, some antibiotic oinment and went back out to the truck. Had to cut away the skin from that big bubble, so used my eating knife, after spraying it with carby cleaner, figured most bugs couldnt live in that shit.
DIdnt count on a couple ladies pulling up beside me and as Im cutting that big flap of skin way, having them walk around the truck.
One of them puked. I apologized to them both, I never could figure out why some folks have such a weak stomach. Covered the wound with antibiotic ointment, a gauze pad and went back to work.
The right hand took a couple days for all the blisters to blow out, and I kept some aloe based lotion on it for about a week. Only took off a couple layers of skin and didnt get down too deep into the meat. But Ive got a really wierd mottled tan on that wrist and hand now. All the burned area is fishbelly white running through my tan
Shrug...hell you know me...I tend to not let that sort of minor thing slow me down.
That left kne scabbed over..and of course I had to do a lot of kneeling and it kept breaking open and leaking blood and lymph fluid all down my leg for a week. Had to keep a bottle of alcohol and a clean rag handy to clean up the mess it was making. Ive been wearing shorts for the most part because of that.
Last of the scab came off tonight in the bathtub, gonna make an interesting scar for a year or two.
I hope the pigment comes back on my wrist and hand. Looks wierd
Gunner
Gunner

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality", John F. Kennedy.
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 02:50:50 -0700, Gunner Asch

I was pulling your leg (not the burned one).

I wasn't really expecting you to reply, its a joke.

Any one see it happen?

Being a little rough around the edges is one of your redeeming qualities.....

Well, if I was standing face to face with you and you said it didn't hurt all that much I would reply "BULLSHIT!"......and you know that's true....
Tom
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 03:42:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I know <G>

Nope. Client saw it a few minutes later as I was changing. I told him Id take care of it, not to fret.

Moi? Rough around the edges? Moi?

On the 1 to 10 scale..with 10 being having your spleen ripped out through your nostrils...its about a .5. So its not all that much. And I did sear a bunch of nerve endings, one of the signs of a deep burn is the lack of pain.
Gunner

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

    Ouch.
    Not quite as extravagant, but Nels was welding under a van and let go of the rod to flip his goggles up to see how it was going. But when he reached for the rod, it had moved, and he grabbed the hot tip. Ouch! he sat up in surprise, and banged his head on the underside of the van. That's when he dropped the torch in his lap.     Nelson had a number of incidents involving welding torches and fire. Like the smoldering away of his coveralls, till he noticed the smell of smoke. Hole about a foot in diameter over his stomach, with just the zipper in the middle.
    Sigh, life is so much fun when it is other people setting it on fire. :-)
pyotr
-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries
Just now read the complete thread, after responding to your response to my first post.
That motor is going to have be completely disassembled, cleaned (vatted), bored or sleeved, (depending on how badly pitted the cylinder walls are), valve seats installed, because the what you have won't clean up, valve guides replaced (at least the broken one) or guide liners installed.
I doubt that the pistons can be salvaged, and of course you will need a set of rings, and valves, cam, main, and rod bearings, and a gasket set.
Very likely that the crank will need to be ground. May have to replace some of the lifters, too. And you don't know if the block is cracked, yet. If that motor showed up in my shop, I would guesstimate around $1400 to rebuild it. Probably around $800 (my cost)for parts. If it is one of the oddities with a strange bore, weird water pump, goofy distributor, etc., you may not be able to find parts for it.
I've rebuilt several thousand of those things over the years and none of them was ever a straight-forward job.
FYI: sodium filled valves tend to explode like TNT when the stem is ruptured.
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:23:38 +0000 (UTC), Alphonso

Ah! I can buy a rebuilt for $900

Errrk!!!
Gunner