OT: Energy calcs of all-gas vs. all electric.

Over on rec.autos.tech.

John Scheldroup will proly get chubby over this, and Unka might get a little excited, as well. Bottle won't give a shit, since there's no NOX. And jb of course won't understand a fukn word in the post, but that won't stop him from pounding out more blather, drivel, and invectives.

I give plausible calcs/argerments, the bottom line being that on a joule per joule basis, electrics can likely consume **1/10** the overall energy consumption of gas.

And when the manufacturing energy costs are thrown in, along with long-term servicing (think--no more oil changes, either!), the 1:10 factor could even be wider.

For example, the theoretical max mpg's on my Honda fit are only 54 mpg!! (at

65 mph.) Of which I realized 46.4 the other weekend. Which sure beats the 15 mpg I get in my g-d 2004 pickup.

Really an eye-opener--at least for my good eye.

An all-electric transportation system will also revolutionize the economy, and proly not without *a lot* of pain. The drastically greater simplicity of electrics and the subsequent drastic decrease in service requirements will likely cost boucou boucou jobs, likely many of them in machining.

Reply to
The Pre-Meltdown Kid

"The Pre-Meltdown Kid" wrote in message news:47b27f63$0$25038$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net...

Well, you should of done what I did, bought a 300$ pickup truck thats smashed in in the front.

Benefits....

25 miles per gallon. No payments. People will not pull out in front of a truck with a smashed in front end. Fun to beat on, since im not worried about the cost. Cheap to fix.

I recently pulled out of a gas station and let loose, its got limited slip posi, so it kept peeling out on each tire back and fourth. All 3 belts broke. Drove it 3 miles home, and spent 8 bucks a belt. Now go buy a belt for your hybrid, I bet its hundreds.

So now add in your money for gas. Then add in the freakish repair costs. Oh the full coverage insurance...ouch Then there's those monster payments. Add to that the fear of getting scratches on it. Of course there's the 10 bucks a week for the car wash. Oh yah, a nice car like that needs nice tires.

It goes on and on.....

So go ahead and buy the scam, hybrids will "save" you money. ya. sure.

But hybrids will pollute less....I don't think so. That electricity comes from somewhere. Nothing is more efficient at exhausting clean air than a new car. Not even factories.

There will be one benefit/problem.... Electric motors dont explode inside, they won't wear out ever. maybe tire bearings. But an electric car has no vibration, and thats what wears cars out. So LOTS of jobs will go bye bye.

But to be fair, some will be created, but less than those that are lost.

Internal cumbustion in the year 2008 is insulting to our existence, but hybrids are not the answer. The answer is kinetic energy. its in everything. it runs watches, so beef it up to run cars? Real skinny hard tires, aero dynamic. light weight, and kinetic energy...thats the future of cars.

So hybrid sucks, but all electric sux also. But, only if it runs off batteries. thats ridiculous.

Ever push one of those toy cars with the kinetic energy wheels, you push it and it keeps going on and on. Thats the future. Add to that solar power, and wind power and you have the electricity needed.

Reply to
vinny

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that "vinny" wrote on Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:14:16 -0500 in alt.machines.cnc :

If gas stays over four dollars a gallon, you can recoup the cost of the new car in as little as five years. Then you can start amortizing the higher insurance for a new car. Yeah, what I would have to shell out for a new vehicle would buy a lot of petrol for the current beast.

Damns or Nuclear Power plants don't emit carbon - at least, not once the construction phase is completed.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich