OT:Not In My Back Yard

Don"t want to mess up the view for the Kennedy's do we? Suppoese they want em built in areas with no wind with a ghetto view.

An electricity-producing wind farm opposed by Sen. Ted Kennedy has cleared a significant hurdle, with a federal agency saying that the project off Cape Cod would not have a lasting impact on wildlife, navigation or tourism.

Congress gave the U.S. Minerals Management Service authority over the Cape Wind project, which would consist of 130 turbines in Nantucket Sound, five miles off the coast. And the agency?s impact statement released Tuesday indicates that the federal government is likely to approve construction of the project unless major new concerns arise, the Boston Globe reports.

The wind farm is expected to cost more than $1 billion and could be in operation by 2011, according to its developer, Cape Wind Associates.

The federal agency determined that the project?s impact on wildlife and fish would be minimal, as would the impact on tourism. The only ?major? impact would be the altered ocean view from boats.

Sen. Kennedy had maneuvered to kill the project on several occasions, maintaining that the turbines would be unsightly, hurting tourism and property values.

But in his 2006 book "Do As I Say (Not As I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy," author Peter Schweizer disclosed that Kennedy opposed the Cape Wind project because "the wind turbines would be built in Nantucket Sound, about six miles off the coast from the Kennedy compound in Hyannis.

"The problem was not aesthetic; the Kennedys wouldn?t be able to actually see the turbines from their home. Instead Robert Kennedy Jr., who had been beating the drum for alternative sources of energy for more than a decade, complained that the project would be built in one of the family?s favorite sailing and yachting areas.?

Newsmax reported in May 2006 that Kennedy supported a proposal to build another wind farm ? in somebody else?s "backyard.?

A Boston contractor submitted plans to construct an offshore complex of 90 to 120 wind turbine towers near Naushon Island and the towns of Dartmouth and Fairhaven.

Following the release of the Minerals Management Service report, Kennedy?s office issued a statement saying he would review the report to ?see if it adequately addresses the many concerns raised by this project.?

Dave B

Reply to
Dave B

kennedy is a far left nutcase. He is skilless too when it comes to legislation. that aside... The damage to the environment from air turbines is real, but not Unfixable.

First is the birds. At first the wind farms were bird weapons of mass production. But some geniuses realized spinning them at a certain frequency would make the birds avoid it at all costs. So now the next problem is bats. Bats eat bugs, and if its killing bats that real bad. But they are working on it hard. And having a lot of progress. Real close to solving that one.

But that's not the real problem. The real problem is getting the power from the turbines to the citys. For every wind farm they erect, they need hundreds of miles of cables to deliver the current, that's the problem most people have. We all love what those wind turbines look like, but who the hell wants giant wire towers every 300 yards all the way from the beach to the city.

Personally, I think we need to go back to Tesla(my hero), and his wireless power. Considering he lighted a light bulb from 3 miles away proves it works.

Wind turbines, tide turbines, water turbines are the answer to it all. But...we need to create the technology of getting that power to where we need it. Rumour is we lose 60% of all power in the us to dissapation, heat and noise of the power lines.

Screw all the projects except power delivery. Superconductor power lines is the way, or wireless power output like tesla did.

imagine no loss in power transfer. That alone more than double the supply. Plus areas that have special things to add can play along... grand canion...Niagra falls...the tide in New england...the areas of steady wind direction...

Kennedy? Is he even a senator anymore?

Reply to
vinny

No loss in power transfer, just lost pounds.

ff

They stole my idear.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®