ProtoTRAK subs

anyone pumping G code into one of these controllers.
XYZ UK say that you cant use subroutines when doing this and the single prog
must contain all data. So any 3D model profile has to consist XYZ moves even if certain aspects within a prog lend themselves to a repeated simple subroutines and thus not only shorten the prog but also produce a smoother profile using G02/G03 arcs.
Is it possible with M98 M99 and L which are mentioned in the manual but I am buggered if I can get them to work...maybe the man was right even though mentioned.
dj