Publishing guest editorials in magazines

I'm curious about something in the magazine world. Is it customary for publishers to solicit editorials from companies and tell them the editorial will only run in the magazine if they buy advertising? Maybe it's just me, but it sounds kind of false.

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

find another magazine. Sounds like the mag is on the brink of getting on the government dole or shutting down.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

It is the opposite of "customary," but it depends on the magazine. The good ones, at least those that are ethical, don't do it and never have.

However, be sure they aren't talking about "advertorial," which really is advertising. You buy a page; you get to put in it what you want; and it looks like editorial. You'll see "advertisement" printed at the top or bottom of the page if that's the case.

Sadly, there are magazines that are under such pressure that anything goes for survival. I don't know who is doing what these days, but a couple of the oldies in metalworking have either stopped printing and switched to the Web, or they're on the brink of complete collapse. And there are little "splinter" magazines with extremely narrow interests who have no idea of what publishing ethics is about.

Ed Huntress (former Associate Editor, _American Machinist_; Senior Editor, _Machine Shop Guide_; Senior Editor, _Machining_)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I don't know about customary; but it certainly sounds unethical.

That said, there are several ways that ads and "non advertising" content from the same source can end up in the same issue. Many mags offer "new product" listings. These are short things that sellers write themselves, and that usually get included in the magazine for free. It's kind of a way for the mag to offer news about what's out there; and it's also kind of a trial step for those considering spending money on ads.

I've been asked several times to do articles in the same issues where I advertized. I suppose the opportunity to share my own views could be looked at as sweetening the deal I got for my ad dollars; but it's never been presented to me as conditional in any way. Usually, I've bought ad space in an issue that had a focus fitting my market. So if I tried to sell a drill grinder with an ad on page 15, and tried to teach folks something about drill point technology on page 25, it all fit with the "drilling technology" theme of the issue, and made perfect sense to me. There's never been a case where it wasn't perfectly clear who had written the non-ad piece. Nobody was supposed to be fooled into thinking that the author was totally objective.

On the flip side of that, there have been a couple of occasions where someone's noticed something in my product literature, or on my website, or even things I've posted here, and has asked permission to use them - whole or part. Later, of course, I'm asked if I also want to advertize; but nobody's ever told me that I had to.

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

You guys summed up our thoughts, but I thought I should get some outside input before telling dude to go piss up a rope. Thanks.

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Not always. It is obvious though that when they put an article in it will be free advertising and perhaps suggestion if not positive.

My previous employer advertised often and we wrote articles on a periodic basis. I scored two articles and one went international. Germany and Japan. I was dumped before China version came out.

Mart> I'm curious about something in the magazine world. Is it customary

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Maybe then they should contact jb he can pay for an ad and in return allow him to provide free editorial content--maybe even get him to sweep the floor and clean out the toilets.....lick postage stamps and so on etc.

Reply to
Brother Lightfoot

What's good for the goose is good for the gander:

Any idea how many more years I'm going to have to wait for that modified cutter to be mailed to me?

With all the cheap used FADAL's on the market is there some reason you won't write an idiots guide to fixing and modifying your FADAL?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Hey I took you outa my killfile even and now this ?

"Any idea how many more years I'm going to have to wait for that modified cutter to be mailed to me?"

The job went away, but I might still have a dull one if your REALLY intserested though...

"With all the cheap used FADAL's on the market is there some reason you won't write an idiots guide to fixing and modifying your FADAL?"

Well my basic advise is the same as its always been, box ways are great but are a pain in the ass if /when they have excessivelky worn turcite liners--very common with the 4020 fadal as well as with many otheer brand of machine tools, lets face it this is a wear surface.

I have some pictures someplace, but if there was a problem with engineering concerning lube then you better fix that while your at it or the problem will certainly come back fairly quick.

AS TO PURCHASING an old fadal, not sure if your being facetious or not here but I be happy as always to correspond via email or phone...suggest linear ways if you not cutting titanium or stainless though as these type ways are of a modular nature and thus can be replaced easily and even the spare 35 mm linear guides /trucks can routinely be found on ebay at 10 cents on a dollar.

Reply to
Brother Lightfoot

I'm trying my best to get back in. ;>)

I was interested 3 years ago and I'm still interested now. Will I ever see it.... only if I bug you and I'm only going to do that if you open the door like you did here. ;>)

So I get serious on taking a scraping class. Strip the old Turcite, apply new Turcite and scrape it to match the hardened and ground box way.

Should be in the book you should be writing on how to rebuild a used FADAL.

Not one FADAL. 3 FADAL's. All have hardened and ground box ways.

This newsgroup could use the content but yeah I could pick up the phone and hassle you. Could also e-mail.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Feel free to email me, like I say i think i have pics even

fwiw, the 4020 oil grooves can be remachined in replacement turcite if you have access to a fadal 3016

or vmc 15xt same diff

your bed way is probably fine, the Y turcite in the saddle will probly need re-machined, use a flycutter or replace then flycut

then you set it up on a grinder and do the x rails

sigh, not roket science am I writing the dummy book for free now or what ?

anyways, with turcute, you scrape all the old shit off, then soak it in acetone, maybe rough with a sandblaster, gets a good surface for the new turcite to bond.

Slather epoxy on the old mounting surface with a floor trowell and place the new turcite, add a sheet of wax paper so any epoxt oozes wont mmake ahuge mess, and clamp a huge parallel bar ontop of that,

Now wait a coulpl days for it tio set...then you turn the table upside down and mill the turcute

Now mill oil grooves, any flaking (if at all ) will be in order to enhance oil retention, you can be pretty crude or not do it at all, not like your scraping in an ols school cast iron planer mill like was used to grind the surface that mates with the turcuit eh ?

IF YOU NEED TO REGRIND RAILS then different procedure, you will stage them from the surface that the gib straps contact.

Really should start with the base, BUT

what happen in raelity is once all other lube has failed the base strill get oiled, due to it position in gravity, and so almost always the base casting will have the Y axis top way surface being co planar with the collumn faying surface within a few tenths, unless you see scoring there its not a biggree

Hows this for an "the idoit book on fadal maintenance" so far IYO ?

Reply to
Brother Lightfoot

For people like me and for people not like me.

The market is going to continue to get bigger and bigger for those who wish to own and rebuild worn out FADAL's.

Sounds good to me.

You never should have taken me out of your killfile. At least it's easy to fix. ;>)

Thanks.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer