Remember my hypothetical post...

vinny wrote:

Fired or laid off?
If you can get unemployment, dude, take a vacation. You deserve it.
And next time, keep yer mouth shut, wait for the appropriate time, then tell them to piss off and walk out without notice in the middle of a hot job like I did to my last employer. :)
--
Black Dragon

Non-sequiturs make me eat lampshades.

They are notorious for not paying unemployment compensation. If your fired for anything other than being stupid...no unemployment comp. Arguing with management is listed as not covered. Now I never collected it and I hope to never have to, but think about that law, all they have to do is get you to argue in front of a witness. Doesn't sound like a very hard thing to pull off?
I'm expecting there to be no social security by the time I need it also. But I'll keep throwing my money in the pile anyway. Because I'm an American! jeesh.

Don't know what you mean by "not paying unempl comp". They don't pay into the fund, or they fight claims like crazy?
If the former, they could be in big big trouble -- at least in NYS. AND, this would have no bearing on your claim.
If the latter, you have a very good case, imo, and in NYS, there are guidelines firmly in place through which to fight this. Relatively simple, too. And, fwiu, not too hard to win, as long as theft is not involved, or you burned the place down, or sumpn.
The fact that you were involved in an act of responsible reporting would help greatly. If they bring up that .0006 shit, fuck them. Just have your side ready -- oh, and, uh, be at least slightly coherent. :)
I would file, just for the hell of it, to learn "the system". It might also put your ex on the hot seat. Fuck them.
--

Mr. PV'd

He's in Floreeeduh, an "at will" employment State. They didn't need a reason to fire him and he wasn't layed off.
JC

Not entirely true, but the laws are different than in new england for sure. Arguing with upper management is grounds for dismissal. And in florida the employer has to pay. I read it on their site just a minute ago. They did need a reason to fire me, and if I was incompetent I could get unemployment, but any larceny or arguing with upper management isnt coverend.
But the truth is it's not worth it. Your only as good as your references. No matter what happens, you have to exit like your Gandi.
Not fair, but remember I can quit anytime with no warning. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander?

You should go and file for unemployment compensation. You've earned it and if the claim is contested you can decide what to do. You aren't doing anything else anyway.

Well, You'd thnk so but I quit on a guy in the early 90's and he bad mouth's me to this day. I didn't hear about it for a long time but it finally came out. Nine months later I had the pleasure of attending his BK auction and finding a step Mic with my name on it. The auctioneer let me have it back. No charge.
What comes around, goes around. Believe that, and good luck ya' dufus.
JC

I dont belive that. I do believe in letting it go though. I'm a tradesman, not a company man. If they give me a bad ref they will be changing the rules, and I hope that doesn't happen, because I will have to change my rules to compensate. A week from now that place will not exist in my world. Soon I will be doing new things, and hopefully get excited about this trade again.
John R. Carroll wrote:

I sued an employer (new owners of a company I originally worked a long time for) who laid me off. They tried to fuck me out of close to $2500 vacation pay I had earned and I beat them in small claims court. That was early in 2005, and yes, they were pissed because it started a chain reaction with many of my former co-workers who were also let go and screwed out of their pay.
About 6 months ago they called and wanted me to come back. Bah! I'd rather go to China and mop floors for hamei than work for those cock suckers again no matter what kind of money they are offering.
--
Black Dragon

I'm a bisexual; I get it maybe twice a year.
Why wrote:

Not since last summer. He was coming to New York when the wife and I were vacationing up in the Thousand Islands and was to busy to join us for some good eats, sudz and R&R. I emailed him around the 'holidays' '08 but didn't hear back.
--
Black Dragon

Love in your heart wasn't put there to stay.