Remember my hypothetical post...

Well it was real. And I spoke up.

fired.

But that's ok, I can get a new job, but I can't live with myself screwing over the people who pay my checks. Maybe they ok'd me getting fired after 10 years of service, but at least I didn't bite the hand that feeds me.

I feel good about this. From now on I will "not" ignore people screwing over the people who pay my check. If you are screwing over the guy paying me, you are screwing me and my family.

Reply to
vinny

Sorry to hear that.... I hope you find something better soon.

Reply to
sittingduck

You did what you had to do. Never look back.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

You did what you had to do. Never look back.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

So dude, what happened? Who said what to who/when/where/how?? Mebbe "they" read some of yer posts, and got scared... :)

Bill said don't look back, but it never hurts to gain absolute clarity on what actually happened, and why. Prepares you better for the next time. Like reviewing a fight....

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Vinny:

Well that's a cryin' shame. You do what you think is the right thing rather than sucking up to intermediators, and take it in the shorts. I hope you find a more ethically run shop that appreciates your efforts.

Reply to
BottleBob

Sorry Vinny, but I think you blew it.

When you asked about making the .0006 move, and were told to STFU, you should have done so. You're not the owner, or the boss, and there could have been a lot of other factors you don't realize. The point is, business is just like the military, unless someone instructs you to do something illegal or immoral, your FIRST job is to follow instructions. Had you done so, you would still have your job, the respect of your peers, and an excellent reference so you could move on elsewhere, if you don't like the money where you were. Now you have none of the three.

Don't get me wrong, I have done the same thing you did. A lot of us have. The only difference between you and me, is I have made that mistake enough times to know better. Hopefully, now you have too.

Good luck.

Reply to
Tim

Sorta like coming to someone's aid on the street, who's getting their ass beat, only to find out, after your own black eye/loosened teeth, that THEY were the aggressor!! goodgawd... Or, the person you are trying aid turns around to beat your ass... fuuuuuck....

I think Vinny's fate sort of proves his good intentions were similarly misdirected, and possibly not executed as strategically as they might have been.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Thanks. And your mostly right. The advice given worked, except this time I was involved in making the parts. No matter what the results I had to speak up. In my defence I did it thru the correct channels, I did it calmly without naming people. The truth is I'm not in the army, nor do I work for the government. When I got this job I was interviewed and hired on my ability to make a profit. What I did was openly talked about in my interview. So now I'm changing jobs, but that's ok. Truth is I have never regretted leaving a shop...only staying too long. I should of left 3-4 years ago. I don't work for a company, I work with a company. I know most will disagree. But in the small job shop world there is no going along for the ride, if you don't help push the car goes nowhere.

Truth is I feel real good about this. GOD feeds the birds, I'm sure he will feed me also.

Reply to
vinny

Good analogy, the smaller the company, the fewer the drivers. You were hired to push, not steer or navigate.

The most difficult thing for conscience people to do, is follow the bosses directions even when it is clearly not a productive direction. But that is exactly what we are paid to do. Give passive advice maybe, but always be ready to accept it's rejection, or don't give it at all. The world is full of highly skilled losers, that can't understand this concept. Seems the more gifted the person, the harder it is for them to understand the concept. But in actuality, this is how the world works, and there is nothing you, I, or anyone else can do to change it. You simply have to go with it, or get run over by it.

Most highly skilled losers don't understand this until they have ran there own shop for a while. It's just not that easy to see, until you see it from the other side. At least it wasn't for me.

Reply to
Tim

My two favorite days of all my jobs has always been the first and last day.

Reply to
Bill

Fired or laid off?

If you can get unemployment, dude, take a vacation. You deserve it.

And next time, keep yer mouth shut, wait for the appropriate time, then tell them to piss off and walk out without notice in the middle of a hot job like I did to my last employer. :)

Reply to
Black Dragon

My favorite days have been on the paid vacations!

Mal

Reply to
Mal Boswick

They are notorious for not paying unemployment compensation. If your fired for anything other than being stupid...no unemployment comp. Arguing with management is listed as not covered. Now I never collected it and I hope to never have to, but think about that law, all they have to do is get you to argue in front of a witness. Doesn't sound like a very hard thing to pull off?

I'm expecting there to be no social security by the time I need it also. But I'll keep throwing my money in the pile anyway. Because I'm an American! jeesh.

Reply to
vinny

Don't know what you mean by "not paying unempl comp". They don't pay into the fund, or they fight claims like crazy?

If the former, they could be in big big trouble -- at least in NYS. AND, this would have no bearing on your claim.

If the latter, you have a very good case, imo, and in NYS, there are guidelines firmly in place through which to fight this. Relatively simple, too. And, fwiu, not too hard to win, as long as theft is not involved, or you burned the place down, or sumpn.

The fact that you were involved in an act of responsible reporting would help greatly. If they bring up that .0006 shit, f*ck them. Just have your side ready -- oh, and, uh, be at least slightly coherent. :)

I would file, just for the hell of it, to learn "the system". It might also put your ex on the hot seat. Fuck them.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

He's in Floreeeduh, an "at will" employment State. They didn't need a reason to fire him and he wasn't layed off.

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Not entirely true, but the laws are different than in new england for sure. Arguing with upper management is grounds for dismissal. And in florida the employer has to pay. I read it on their site just a minute ago. They did need a reason to fire me, and if I was incompetent I could get unemployment, but any larceny or arguing with upper management isnt coverend.

But the truth is it's not worth it. Your only as good as your references. No matter what happens, you have to exit like your Gandi.

Not fair, but remember I can quit anytime with no warning. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander?

Reply to
vinny

You should go and file for unemployment compensation. You've earned it and if the claim is contested you can decide what to do. You aren't doing anything else anyway.

Well, You'd thnk so but I quit on a guy in the early 90's and he bad mouth's me to this day. I didn't hear about it for a long time but it finally came out. Nine months later I had the pleasure of attending his BK auction and finding a step Mic with my name on it. The auctioneer let me have it back. No charge.

What comes around, goes around. Believe that, and good luck ya' dufus.

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

I dont belive that. I do believe in letting it go though. I'm a tradesman, not a company man. If they give me a bad ref they will be changing the rules, and I hope that doesn't happen, because I will have to change my rules to compensate. A week from now that place will not exist in my world. Soon I will be doing new things, and hopefully get excited about this trade again.

Reply to
vinny

I sued an employer (new owners of a company I originally worked a long time for) who laid me off. They tried to f*ck me out of close to $2500 vacation pay I had earned and I beat them in small claims court. That was early in 2005, and yes, they were pissed because it started a chain reaction with many of my former co-workers who were also let go and screwed out of their pay.

About 6 months ago they called and wanted me to come back. Bah! I'd rather go to China and mop floors for hamei than work for those c*ck suckers again no matter what kind of money they are offering.

Reply to
Black Dragon