Superfast Laser

A buddy of mine is the head of a good sized metal shop in my area. His laser cutter is really fast....

400 holes per minute!
sittingduck

Wicked!

Reply to
Joe788

cutter is really fast....

HOLYCRAP , I AM STUCK IN THE 80'S I HAD NO IDEA YOU COULD DO THAT , SO FAST SURE ITS SHEET METAL , STAINLESS I THINK BUT . NO DISTORTION FROM PUNCH'S, NO NEED TO MAKE ANY THING SPECIAL . I WONDER NOW IF THE KABLAM OF PUNCH PRESS'S IS A THING OF THE PAST .

AMAZING

Reply to
RLEWIS

We have a lazer, a little charmilles. They do logos and engraving, even just some labeling of parts. Its sloooooooooowwwwww. They go too deep. They should go like .0003 deep or just deep enough to see it. The guys running tell me it leaves a burr?

Reply to
vinny

How round are the holes? I recently worked with some 1/4" thick steel that had laser cut holes, and each one had a flat on one side which required a drill to make them usable.

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

In high production, large patterns are done with cluster punches and would probably still be faster. But there's the cost of the punches, and maintenance to factor in.

Last sheetmetal shop I worked at, I was just getting into programming the laser when I left. Nowhere near as fast, I'd guess this thing burns two or three holes complete in the time it would take that old machine to just pierce. Amazing indeed!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Our laser just does 2d barcodes. Nothing fun :(

Reply to
clutch

We have an older Amada cnc punch press that I'm using for comparison. I'm impressed.

Wes

Reply to
clutch