Total newbie question

Greetings All, I'm learning how to program a small Bridgeport EZTrak circa 1993. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to import a dxf file into it instead of programming each coordinate manually? TIA, Mark

Reply to
Mark Loehndorf

Mark,

A DXF file is a file that defines drawing geometry. It is of little use directly to a cnc control.

A DXF file is typically used in a CAM program. The CAM program uses the geometry to generate tool paths quickly. It is then "posted" the the control as G code.

Reply to
jimz

Reply to
Mark Loehndorf

========================= That depends on your cnc controller, and equal hole spacing. [row and column spacing need not be the same]

In many cases you can switch between absolute and relative positioning, and with a sub program drill a row of holes. Some of the newer controllers allow a sub to call a sub. This will greatly shorten the program [and reduce errors]

Autocad and its clones support the array command for holes, or mre precisely the hole centers, with different row and column spacings. Again it depends on the CAM dxf=>Gcode program you have and your controller, but many of these offer a drill cycle from the hole centers, with peck and dwell options.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Mark Loehndorf wrote in news:1gWmg.103735$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

You could do that, but that would be the LONG way to go about it. Since it is a specific pattern, you can use a sub program for your actual drilling (using a canned cycle), and then write a little macro or loop program to move from postion to position.

Reply to
Anthony

It all depends on what your control is capabile of doing. A loop program or a sub routine will do the job. The movement of the drill from hole to hole would be done in incrimental motion. and the positioning of the drill at the beginning of each line of holes would be done in absolute. .

I had a program I ran on an old boss 5 bridgeport that would drill 3000 holes with only about 10 lines of code.

John

Reply to
john

Mark, I'm not sure about the eztrak but a prototrak is a similar conversational control. Prototrak sells an add on option for importing dxf and dwg files. You load the dxf / dwg file into the control and using a mouse and keyboard you click on the geometry you want to program. It can be profiles, pockets, holes and more. For holes you would click the circles that represents the holes and when you're done you fill in the common parameters for that group of holes such as depth, # of pecks, feedrate etc. and that group of holes will all be programmed. Maybe Bridgeport sells a similar add on. Works great on the Prototrak. Duffy

Reply to
Duffy

Actually there are controls that allow for importing DXF files and then creating the program in the control.

Will

Reply to
Will

Yep, I have a control that accepts dxf directly.

Mach3

Reply to
Jon Grimm