What is the Y-axis on a lathe?

I have an idea, but the lathes I see are 10" chucks and have a 2" y-axis. With only 2" of travel how can a y-axis be of use in anything but small parts. Or am I just envisioning the y-axis wrong. I can't seem to find a nice video of what a y-axis can do.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

@ inches seems small. Sure it's not +/- 2 inches? Also probably has a C-axis.

Reply to
Steve Walker

On this machine

Quote from web site:

centreline) for off-center milling, drilling, and tapping, and come standard with high-torque live tooling and a servo-driven C-Axis for versatile 4-axis capability"

If you have live tooling and put your x-axis off center you could drill off center. With a C-axis you could put a bolt circle in the end of a shaft. So where does Y come into play?

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy333" Newsgroups: alt.machines.cnc Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2014 6:29 AM Subject: Re: What is the Y-axis on a lathe?

Milling hex flats and similar features using the end of an endmill, and for off-center cross-drilling.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT