What is the Y-axis on a lathe?

I have an idea, but the lathes I see are 10" chucks and have a 2" y-axis. With only 2" of travel how can a y-axis be of use in anything
but small parts. Or am I just envisioning the y-axis wrong. I can't seem to find a nice video of what a y-axis can do.
Remove 333 to reply. Randy
On 7/10/2014 10:05 AM, Randy333 wrote:

@ inches seems small. Sure it's not +/- 2 inches? Also probably has a C-axis.

On this machine
http://www.haas.co.uk/ds30ssy.html
Quote from web site:
centreline) for off-center milling, drilling, and tapping, and come standard with high-torque live tooling and a servo-driven C-Axis for versatile 4-axis capability"
If you have live tooling and put your x-axis off center you could drill off center. With a C-axis you could put a bolt circle in the end of a shaft. So where does Y come into play?
Remove 333 to reply. Randy