Citect SCADA Users Forum??

Hi All,

I would appreciate comments and suggestions regarding the need for a Citect SCADA Users Forum.

I can appreciate that Citect is probably not keen to set up an official web forum, as some of the issues raised could be used by competitors against the product. I also understand that Citect issues and queries are sometimes aired within this group.

I believe there would be considerable value for Citect Users, to have access to an web based forum, official or un-official. Citect support staff could monitor the forum, and possibly contribute (anonymously) to the discussions.

I would also be keen to hear comments on the options available to set up and moderate an un-official Citect Users Group.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan

Hi, Alan - Not only are Citect keen to set up an official web forum, they actually have:

It's a bit chunky - and I have actually told them so - but read on...

Some time ago I broached the same question with Citect HQ, officially. I asked them if they would consider setting up an NNTP system like Alt-N's one news://news.altn.com

I can't seem to find their official response - it's lost in my email system somewhere - but it was something like "what we have is meeting our needs so we don't see how setting up an NNTP system would be better, besides we would have to drag off one of our staff to manage it."

It's not a bad idea. It's a lot of work.. are you keen?

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

Thanks for the tip on the /userslist Cameron, I didn't realise it existed. I have now joined the list and will see how it goes.

I too asked the "forum" question at a recent users group conference and got a very luke warm & a we'll look into it response.

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a newbie to all this, hence my request to Citect to set something up. I have no idea of what is involved but I guess it comes back to the old saying ... " If you want something done, do it yourself"

It would be interesting to know how many Citect Users think the forum would be a useful tool and support it.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan

I am not a Citect user, so I would not be a participant. However, if there are enough Citect users, and perhaps employees or integrators, there could always be a use for an unofficial forum.

There are several easy to set up forum methods. I use a Network54 forum on my site,

The link to the forum is near the bottom of the page just below the book ads. It provides a fully threaded forum with the ability for the owner to remove inappropriate postings. At the bottom of the forum page is a link to set up your own. The only problem is that it is paid for by annoying popup ads.

It is also easy to set up a forum using Yahoo groups (groups.yahoo.com). They are not threaded, but the ads are less annoying. They can be moderated or unmoderated.

If you are willing to do the work and can get enough interest, I suggest that you do it.

John Shaw

Reply to
John Shaw

Thankyou chaps for your response to this post ... but I think we would need to see a larger response of comments etc before setting something up.

I have only posted to this group, are there any others I should post to for comments ??

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan

you could try posting to the Citect Userlist... ;-)

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

What a jolly good idea ... (-: