C-R-M: OT why not semi moderation of newsgroups

Just a naive question. Why can't news groups be moderated only to the point of removing these attacks of nonsense spam. All it takes is funneling through the same software as moderated groups use. It would only take a few seconds for the 'moderator' to see whether a post is a nonesensical grouping of words or a real post.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus

  1. For reasons I'm not entirely clear on, it's pretty much impossible to covert an existing newsgroup from unmoderated to moderated status. A new comp.robotics.misc.moderated would need to be created.
  2. Are you volunteering for the job of 'semi-moderator'?
Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

If you're volunteering, you could setup your own mailing list that mirrors non-spam messages to/from c.r.m... This wouldn't require any changes to usenet, and allows others to choose which feed they wish to receive.

- Daniel

Reply to
D Herring

Is there a moderated group ?

Reply to
schaum123

I've noticed that some of the other groups he hit are now clean of his spam even while this one gets poluted from time to time. I can't help but think that part of the reason for that is the attention we give to him evey time we mention it. Perhaps we should just let the subject be silent for awhile ? Just my 2 cents.

Reply to
pogo

Being ignored is the highest form of insult! DOC

Reply to
doc

I think this is why a lot of people turn to web-based member-only forums these days, usenet is just too poluted and full of antagonists passing by on a school holiday. Would there be a demand for it here? I'm not sure, i set up a spare temporary forum to replace this during the peak spam period and didnt have anyone drop in. If I knew what was required to either set up a system such as you mention or had the time to set up a .moderated and moderate it I would lol.

Reply to
CoyoteBoy

You could make a self moderated group like the below cgi one. Some one could intentionally make a spam flood bot for the group, but that would be unlikely in the world of general spamming. Usenet flood spamming is generally not that frequent of an occurrence.

PLEASE NOTE: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a SELF-MODERATED newsgroup. aa.net and boutell.com are NOT the originators of the articles and are NOT responsible for their content.

HOW TO POST to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi:

Si Ballenger

comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi:http://www.thinkspot.net/ciwac/howtopost.html It surprises me as a "force of habit" that USENET still exists. With increasing bandwidth and the extra afforded by forum systems, why do people continue to post to spam-ridden plaintext systems?

Reply to
CoyoteBoy

It appears that you are a "google poster", and as such, you probably don't know how nice a plain text news reader can be. Using google (and most "forum" usenet interfaces), probably half of what is presented in the window for you to view is spam/advertising. I don't get that using free agent.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

I work from google 90% of the time but I do have access to a normal NNTP server from my ISP, both have the same level of junk :(

Reply to
CoyoteBoy