Headline: Model Railroaders Solve World's Problems!!!

The headlines are going to read: Model Railroaders Solve World's Problems! For those of you who haven't been reading every new post on the thread: "Toronto Convention - Update from the organisers" boy have you missed out.

You people ought to be thankful this debate occurred here because they did it! They actually solved the problems of the world! I know, I'm completely amazed too but they actually accomplished their mission of solving the world's problems, right here on our little newsgroup. It pulled my heart strings the other day when Bush and Jacques Chirac hugged after hearing Procter's poignant arguments. Made me proud to be a model railroader.

An open request to all the skeptics who questioned why the topic of world politics was on this newsgroup: In the future when the topic goes from a model railroad convention to world politics will you please just let the professionals on this newsgroup handle it please? Their work needs to be done.

If only we had model railroad newsgroups throughout history there might not have been such tragedies as the American Civil War, the attack on Pearl Harbor, and New Coke.

CBix

Reply to
Charles Bix

Well, they couldn't do any worse than the idiots in charge now - and I don't just mean US politicians :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Sorry, I forgot to mention, Gallipoli, Princess Diana, Jonestown, the Napier Earthquake, and the Great Cabbage Fart Panic of 1882.

Happy?

I know Jim Jones was an American.

CBix

Reply to
Charles Bix

Not everyone will agree with you about Princess Di being a tragedy.

The Queen Mother dies and goes to heaven, and the first person she sees there is Diana, whom she notices is wearing a halo.

"Blimey", says the Queen Mother, "You got a halo already, love?"

Diana blushes deeply, and replies, "It's not a halo, it's a steering wheel!"

Reply to
Mark Newton

That's better, Napier's earthquake was a New Zealand tragedy. Gallipoli was where we learned not to hand control of our military to other nations, it was a lesson we should remember!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

A spelling mistake.?

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Hey! Watch the one-downmanship here. Our idiots are dumber than your idiots.

I'm willing to enter them in the Monty Python 'Upper Class Twit of the Year' games to prove it.

Bill Dixon

Reply to
W.R. Dixon

That's the competition where everyone loses, only the winners lose more?

Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

nations, it was a

I'm not sure that's the best lesson to take from Gallipoli. There were British troops there also.

I think the more universal lesson might be: "Don't participate in stupid military adventures."

JP

Reply to
JP

Charles, These discussions can get out of hand and O/T rather quickly when someone stupidly decides to take an unfair shot at someone (God only knows why ) and its down hill from there. I just wish that they would have the courtesy to take these discussions to another forum. I have actually resorted to blocking download of messages from certain individuals who have nothing to contribute to the group besides venom of one sort or another. The way I see it, its like having a club where someone is constantly irritating the other members. The "block sender" command is like flipping a switch and they disappear. I highly recommend it.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn Caron

Lynn,

It just gets out of control sometimes so I make fun of it. My hope is that with a little humor people will realize there are other forums for off topic discussions.

I don't know what the argument could be for having world politcs discussions here other than it's model railroaders talking amongst themselves on a topic they have a common interest in.

I only check this group via the internet website so I can't really filter anyone out.

CBix

Reply to
Charles Bix

Actually I've run into it (and participated) in other newsgroups too. In particular, rec.woodworking.

The thing is that the groups dedicated to political discussions are populated by diehards who haven't changed an opinion on anything in 50 years. All they do is regurgitate the same line over and over.

While there's some of that here as well (and on MR too - see Froggy et al), I do occasionally see an unexpected response that proves there are some working brain cells left in the world :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

They only ignore you when the moon is full???? You got some great kids!

Reply to
Dave Curtis

LOL - Actually I guess the moon is always full -"somewhere" :-))

Reply to
Lynn Caron

Old time Southern term for the battle of Gettysburg.

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Quite frankly I'm just tired of all the anti-Americanism on that thread. I think it's time they started talking about model railroading on this model railroad newsgroup instead of all that other crap. It got so bad I had to killfile most of the trolls there.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

No.

The "No" above answers that point.

I am not " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" - I assumed that that was you trolling and ignored it.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Now, just how do we know that little kiwi. We can't just take your trolling word for it can we

Reply to
EppersonJohnR

You at least should be able to back me.

Reply to