Re: World's Tallest Model Rocket?

Just as an aside I wonder how tall the world's, US, UK's, Australia's, > etc

> successfully flown amateur high power rocket is.

We just flew a 52 footer at LDRS with a cluster of 3 AeroTech J hybrids.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

That doesn't sound like it falls in the model rocket category.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

I think he was referring to - 3.3 lbs.

Reply to
Stephen

Well, then, I flew an 18' A SR at NARAM-22, and Alan Jones had one that was a few feet taller.

Bob Kaplow

Hey, Alan Jones, want to go for 10 meters?

Bob Kaplow

You're right, it doesn't. But he also asks about high power rockets, which is the part I answered.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Cool! I'll have to look into IRW. 25 Ft. seems embarassingly short for a LMR (< 1.5 Kg.) length record, but it may well be a record. I flew a 21 Ft rocket in NAR sanctioned competition, but my rocket only weighed 4.0 Ounces, and it did not go 600 Ft. (using an A motor). Although my flight was successful, it was DQed, along with many other entries, on a controvesial rule revision after the fact.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

How much is Guiness paying?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Some info here...

Darren J Longhorn

:-) he said model rocket ie 1500gram max G max

or is it D max ?? not sure :-)

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

Reply to
BRich

dolt

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

what was the rule revision that DQed the model and why ? inquiring minds yern to know.

Reply to
AlMax714

Have a nice life Chris. Bill Richardson

Chris Taylor Jr wrote: dolt

Chris, read the words Ross wrote "amateur high power rocket". They are directly above Kev :-) he said model rocket ie 1500gram max G max

or is it D max ?? not sure :-)

Ross F Just as an aside I wonder how tall the world's, US, UK's, Australia's, etc successfully flown amateur high power rocket is.

We just flew a 52 footer at LDRS with a cluster of 3 AeroTech J hybrids.

-Kevin

Reply to
BRich

As long as there is a sale at Penneys he will.

Reply to
MaSter bLasteR

Thanks for all the info guys.

I agree with Alan that 25 Ft is a bit short if I can I will try to do better at IRW this year.

21Ft on an A motor is pretty impressive. Was this a tall model rocket competition? If so what were the rules & the dastardly revision?

Speaking of rules is there a good reason for the 3.3pound 1500g weight limit? Adding weight to a rocket dosen't really make it high power. Lazy launches and landing on heads would not be a problem for my designs.

Any pics of the 4 Ounce and indeed the 52 Foot HPR.

Ross

Reply to
Ross Finlay

Congratulations on your efforts. I thoroughly approve of people trying to do something different, for whatever reason...it's enough that it's different!

In the dim dark past (early Seventies) when the planet was still cooling, I showed up at an East Coast regional NAR meet with a 15 foot tall model rocket. It was four pieces of BT-70, a balsa transition section, and the rest was BT-60. I filled the BT-60 section with long balloons and pressurized them with a tire pump to keep the tubing from collapsing. It was intended to fly from a plastic Estes Porta-Pad with a length of C-Rail, but the only way I could make it stand up was by slipping my spare tire down over the rail and using its weight to clamp the Porta-Pad to the ground.

When I fired it it flexed, and the two rail guides held it on the pad. The motor fired into the tire hub, melting the Porta-Pad into a glob of twisted plastic. The whole business fell majestically over and bounced off the rope safety barrier. I have pictures of that moment, showing spectators holding their sides and doubled over with laughter.

Ah, the old days, when I was young and stupid. Now I'm old and stupid.

Doug Pratt

Doug Pratt

Pot!

Bob Kaplow

2 days after the SUperroc event was dlown, everyone who chose to fly with a booster motor was ex-post-facto DQed. No chance for a second flight or a reflight. Just DQed. IIRC it was claimed to be a violation fo the safety code, using a motor in a manner not recommended by the manufacturer. Never mind that the Centuri UFO was a single staged rocket using a booster motor. Or that drag race REQUIRED you to use a booster motor in a single stage rocket.

Meanwhile the folks that ended up winning after half the entries were DQed had held their rockets right up to T-0.5, and were no more than 2-3 feet from their rockets when launched. A CLEAR violation of the safety code that was totally overlooked. Alan's 22' model, and my 18' model both stood on the pad for 15-30 minutes with no human contact before launch.

Then they instituted a set of rule changes, banning external recovery devices, requiring no damage through landing, adding a maximum weight, and puting in place maximum length restrictions. None of which addressed the original issue of using a booster engine.

BTW, Alan and I could have flown the rockets we flew using A10-3T instead of A10-0T with only trivial on-the-field changes to the model recovery systems. It would have also eliminated any minor landing damage that these models may have incured in flight. We used booster motors because that's what we'd done for the past year of contest flying, with no objections from any one. Until NARAM-22. Which is still considered the worst run NARAM of all time.

Bob Kaplow

One of these days, medicine will solve the age problem for us all. I doubt they'll ever solve the other half :-)

Bob Kaplow