Re: World's Tallest Model Rocket?

Ross Finlay wrote:

We just flew a 52 footer at LDRS with a cluster of 3 AeroTech J hybrids.
-Kevin

That doesn't sound like it falls in the model rocket category.
I think he was referring to - 3.3 lbs.
--
Stephen Corban
NAR# 81338

Well, then, I flew an 18' A SR at NARAM-22, and Alan Jones had one that was a few feet taller.
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

You're right, it doesn't. But he also asks about high power rockets, which is the part I answered.
-Kevin
snipped-for-privacy@lightnetworking.co.uk (Ross Finlay) writes:

Hey, Alan Jones, want to go for 10 meters?
On 26 Jul 2003 17:52:56 -0500, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

How much is Guiness paying?
Alan
On 26 Jul 2003 11:06:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@lightnetworking.co.uk (Ross Finlay) wrote:

Cool! I'll have to look into IRW. 25 Ft. seems embarassingly short for a LMR (< 1.5 Kg.) length record, but it may well be a record. I flew a 21 Ft rocket in NAR sanctioned competition, but my rocket only weighed 4.0 Ounces, and it did not go 600 Ft. (using an A motor). Although my flight was successful, it was DQed, along with many other entries, on a controvesial rule revision after the fact.
Alan

Some info here... http://www.ukra.org.uk/events/irw /
what was the rule revision that DQed the model and why ? inquiring minds yern to know.
(Ross

Thanks for all the info guys.
I agree with Alan that 25 Ft is a bit short if I can I will try to do better at IRW this year.
21Ft on an A motor is pretty impressive. Was this a tall model rocket competition? If so what were the rules & the dastardly revision?
Speaking of rules is there a good reason for the 3.3pound 1500g weight limit? Adding weight to a rocket dosen't really make it high power. Lazy launches and landing on heads would not be a problem for my designs.
Any pics of the 4 Ounce and indeed the 52 Foot HPR.
Ross
Congratulations on your efforts. I thoroughly approve of people trying to do something different, for whatever reason...it's enough that it's different!
In the dim dark past (early Seventies) when the planet was still cooling, I showed up at an East Coast regional NAR meet with a 15 foot tall model rocket. It was four pieces of BT-70, a balsa transition section, and the rest was BT-60. I filled the BT-60 section with long balloons and pressurized them with a tire pump to keep the tubing from collapsing. It was intended to fly from a plastic Estes Porta-Pad with a length of C-Rail, but the only way I could make it stand up was by slipping my spare tire down over the rail and using its weight to clamp the Porta-Pad to the ground.
When I fired it it flexed, and the two rail guides held it on the pad. The motor fired into the tire hub, melting the Porta-Pad into a glob of twisted plastic. The whole business fell majestically over and bounced off the rope safety barrier. I have pictures of that moment, showing spectators holding their sides and doubled over with laughter.
Ah, the old days, when I was young and stupid. Now I'm old and stupid.
Doug Pratt www.pratthobbies.com www.flyhybrids.org
snipped-for-privacy@lightnetworking.co.uk (Ross Finlay) wrote in message

snipped-for-privacy@rocketryonline.com (Doug Pratt) writes:

One of these days, medicine will solve the age problem for us all. I doubt they'll ever solve the other half :-)

They were never flying illegally, just outside of NAR rules. So merely from an internal NAR club rule perspective it was illegally, but not from any global perspective. They were just flying amateur rockets like since 1935.

NAR shot itself.

Thank you Tom Blazanin, Chris Pearson and Jerry Irvine. Unlikely bedfellows indeed.

So perform a second study and eliminate the mass limit on rockets and increase the MODEL ROCKET mass limit to full L.
The last one was blue ribbon. How about gold ribbon.

Jerry
--------------010406010308070103060808 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Jerry O'Sullivan has posted an mpeg of the 50 footer.......go to his site www.vahpr.com in the upper left corner click on 'updated' then look near the top for Stumpy. Highly recommended! :-D
Chuck

--

Chuck Rudy

VooDoo Digital Productions
(AlMax714) writes:

2 days after the SUperroc event was dlown, everyone who chose to fly with a booster motor was ex-post-facto DQed. No chance for a second flight or a reflight. Just DQed. IIRC it was claimed to be a violation fo the safety code, using a motor in a manner not recommended by the manufacturer. Never mind that the Centuri UFO was a single staged rocket using a booster motor. Or that drag race REQUIRED you to use a booster motor in a single stage rocket.
Meanwhile the folks that ended up winning after half the entries were DQed had held their rockets right up to T-0.5, and were no more than 2-3 feet from their rockets when launched. A CLEAR violation of the safety code that was totally overlooked. Alan's 22' model, and my 18' model both stood on the pad for 15-30 minutes with no human contact before launch.
Then they instituted a set of rule changes, banning external recovery devices, requiring no damage through landing, adding a maximum weight, and puting in place maximum length restrictions. None of which addressed the original issue of using a booster engine.
BTW, Alan and I could have flown the rockets we flew using A10-3T instead of A10-0T with only trivial on-the-field changes to the model recovery systems. It would have also eliminated any minor landing damage that these models may have incured in flight. We used booster motors because that's what we'd done for the past year of contest flying, with no objections from any one. Until NARAM-22. Which is still considered the worst run NARAM of all time.
:-) he said model rocket ie 1500gram max G max
or is it D max ?? not sure :-)
Chris Taylor http://www.nerys.com /

Chris, read the words Ross wrote "amateur high power rocket". They are directly above Kevin's reply. Bill Richardson
Chris Taylor Jr wrote:

dolt
Chris Taylor http://www.nerys.com /

Have a nice life Chris. Bill Richardson
Chris Taylor Jr wrote: dolt
Chris Taylor http://www.nerys.com /
Ross Finlay wrote:
Just as an aside I wonder how tall the world's, US, UK's, Australia's, etc successfully flown amateur high power rocket is.
We just flew a 52 footer at LDRS with a cluster of 3 AeroTech J hybrids. -Kevin