World's largest radio controlled model aircraft

wow. thanks enzo, that's a keeper. it looks like a good flyer, too. what to do with a spare $20,000

Reply to
someone

I'm not sure, but that looks like the bird that used to fly at the Ida Grove (Iowa) RC air show. The guy that put on the show owned the RC factory (and in fact, most of the town), Goddard, Godfrey..?? Sorry, I've been out of RC for a long time.

Anyway, he had this huge estate, with a home that honestly looked like a castle, moat and all, and he had this huge hangar attached to the back of the home...and from there was a 600 foot concrete runway for his "experiments".

As I recall, the bird had a 22' wingspan, full retracts, AND a jumper that parachuted out in flight! As the vid shows, it took two operators to fly the thing. Really Cool.

But even that paled to the show he put on. After a day of competition and bizarre flying machines, he put on a WWII dogfight that was incredible, complete with HUGE pyrotechnics bommbing runs, and several fiery "sacrificial" mid-air collisions and ack-ack casualties. Simply amazing.

Thanks for the memory!

Reply to
Richard

That...is IN-FREAKIN'-sane...

Reply to
Rufus

Anyone know if this Bear bomber is static or RC?:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

can't tell if they are the same or not, but this one's r/c

OldSchool

Goedendag Richard and all,

It's a Belgian team, not American.

Vriendelijke groeten ;-) Ron van Sommeren near Nijmegen, the Netherlands int. electric fly-in

Ron van Sommeren

Goedendag,

Or this 8 turbine B52?

The crash:

Vriendelijke groeten ;-) Ron van Sommeren near Nijmegen, the Netherlands int. electric fly-in

Ron van Sommeren

Something like that deserves a nice smooth paved runway. The engine noise kind of kills it, but those scale R-3350 Cyclones would pro'ly be a bitch. ;-)

Watching that fly recalls the last time I saw the CAF's "Fifi" fly and I'm having the same thought now - those poor damn/dumb Japanese. That must have been hell on Earth to be in the shadow of a fleet of those killers.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I like that one better.

Reply to
Rufus

RC?:

I don't think they're the same - I think the second one is bigger...

Reply to
Rufus

RC?:

Working flaps must have been fun to design. If it is the same one, it has interchangeable display and flight nacelles on it.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Did they figure out what caused it to lose control?

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

on 1/15/2008 3:36 PM Pat Flannery said the following:

I would think that anyone building a model in that scale intends for it to fly. What else would one do with it? Hang it from the ceiling? :-) It looks like it is on a runway and there is something on the ground behind the man which could be related to RC flying. Either that, or it is a duck. :-).

Reply to
willshak

Goedendag ;-)

B29 with functional Bell X1 rocketplane:

?v=pW9WqHWqMiI Vriendelijke groeten, Ron van Sommeren near Nijmegen, the Netherlands int. electric fly-in

Ron van Sommeren

Goedendag ;-)

Ooops, wrong link, this one is correct B29 with functional Bell X1 rocketplane:

Vriendelijke groeten, Ron van Sommeren near Nijmegen, the Netherlands int. electric fly-in

Ron van Sommeren

Goedendag ;-) Pat

Pilot error, speed too low, according to

Vriendelijke groeten, Ron van Sommeren

Reply to
Ron van Sommeren

on 1/16/2008 3:14 PM Ron van Sommeren said the following:

Fantastic! Nijmegen, eh? A Bridge Too Far. :-)

Reply to
willshak

wow!

Reply to
someone

Some former B-52 crewmen where I work figured it out after we watched the video frame by frame - the guy over banked it, and it snap-rolled as a result of yaw build up. A problem with all swept wings if you don't get the control system and/or rudder volume sized properly. In the case of a B-52, having spoilers instead of ailerons doesn't help either.

What I'm sort of surprised by it that the builders didn't put a yaw damper or some sort of yaw feedback device on it...would have helped, and they certainly seem smart enough to be able to build one.

Reply to
Rufus