MicroLogix to CompactLogix Conversion

Hi all,

I have a MicroLogix 1200 PLC program that I need to migrate over to a CompactLogix platform. What is the fastest and easiest way to do this?

Thanks in advance. Ed

Reply to
Ed C

You'll need RSLogix 500 & RSLogix 5000. Also, you'll need your program files in .rss format (or just download with whatever you have & upload from the controller--but then you'll lose comments).

Open the MicroLogix program with RSLogix500 (oldprogram.rss) and change the type to a SLC (whatever's closest, but you're going to lose your I/O, so it's not that critical.)

Save it as exported files; type will be SLC, as in "oldprogram.slc".

Start RSL5K & Tools...Translate... & browse to your oldprogram.slc file.

Pick your controller type & start the transation. If it complains that can't find the .txt file, then your comments & symbols probably didn't get exported.

Now, use RSL5K to open up the resulting oldprogram.l5k file. Pick your version & import.

Save as newprogram.acd if you want to.

Import/export gets you started, but there's still some work to do!

Depending on the application, it's sometimes easier to rewrite than convert. At the least, you're going to have to redo all your I/O. Rewriting gives you the opportunity to implement nifty things like UDTs and tagnames... Depends on how far you want to go.

But, hey, that's what they pay us for, isn't it?

Reply to
thrugoodmarshall

Thank you for the detailed reply. I was thinking that there wasn't an easy solution, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I may very well end up re-writing it at this rate. Ed

Reply to
Ed C