PWM inside linear feedback loop

Hi

I'm attempting to control a brushed DC motor in troque control with an analogue pwm chip. I have the chip inside a feedback loop with a simple proportional controller and a current sensor providing feedback. My demand is therefore current.

I've been simulating the loop using simulink. I have a problem in that increasing the proportional gain such that I get a decent step response causes the input to the pwm IC to follow the saw-tooth reference signal which in turn causes strange things to happen to the pwm output signal.

Is this just the limiting factor on the loop gain of a pwm system...or am i doing something stupid?

Cheers for any advice in advance

Steve Minshull

Reply to
Steve Minshull