WindRiver --> Emebedded Linux?

Check it out:

Seems the might Wind_River has seen the light of the future, and it's embedded linux.

Comments and Flames welcome!

James

Reply to
James

I also see that there are soft-PLCs with embedded linux. They even look like regular PLCs. I'm not sure what the advantages are. Can you run an HMI such as Wonderware or RSView on one? Can you log gigs of data? Is it open (can be connected using an open communication standard such as OPC to many different brands of I/O modules? Regular PLCs do what I need and they are reliable.

warren

warren

I also see that there are soft-PLCs with embedded linux. They even look like regular PLCs (same "form factor" in sales talk). I'm not sure what the advantages are. Can you combine an HMI such as Wonderware or RSView with the control logic? Can you log gigs of data? Is it open (can be connected using an open communication standard such as OPC to many different brands of I/O modules)?

Regular PLCs do what I need and they are reliable.

I hear that some flavors of linux have kernal memory leaks so you need to reboot every few weeks.

warren

warren

Well, I have not used WindRiver's linux drivers, but, since it's WindRiver, I'd assume everything is robust, but, expensive...

AS far as what you want to do, the answer is YES. In fact if your run a soft plc on a linux system you can connect a touchscreen to the linux system and develop what ever kind of touchscreen apps you want

Gigs of data? Are you kidding, Linux clustering runs some of the world's biggest supercomputers in the world. MS based solutions never come close to Linux, particularly related to performance issue or security.

Reliability is a function of the quality of the engineers, not the products you purchase, in my experience. Any conglomeration of equipment can be made reliable, but, at what costs, that's the issue.

I'm not sure if WindRiver supports 'OPC' which looks like another failed_microsoft based technology.

The utilities I work for have either removed 100% of microsoft's technology or are working on removing everything MS, due to security concerns...

good luck with failed (MS) technology.....

James

Reply to
James