avoid explosions while testing laptop power cables

Hi all, what is the best way to test a laptop's power cable? I recently used a multimeter to test the output from the adapter, there was
no power. I then tested the output from the mains (the cable that goes from the wall to the adapter. Needless to say, there was a minor explosion as the power arced to the multimeter pointer. That cable was evidently good! ... but how do I avoid explosions and possible electrocution next time?

Off hand, I would guess that you shorted out the power leads. You did not tell us what your experience in working with such deviceds or details of what you actually did.
Be careful and know what you are dowing.
Bill

who? wrote:

Are you sure you should avoid electrocution? You can't defy natural selection forever, you know...
Feeding the trolls,
Bill
who? wrote:

Set the multimeter correctly. Sounds like maybe you tried to use the Amps range to test across a power source? You should gain a basic understanding of electricity before you go poking around in these things. Switchmode power supplies (which is what these laptop bricks are) are no place for beginners.