Capacity of various Duracell AA cells?

The message from raden contains these words:

How's this for a mission statement....

Mission Statement:

'To make as much money as possible off a small, but really good idea that other humans can relate to and have a laugh with us at.'

Guy King

In message , Guy King writes

Honest, at least

Reply to
raden

Not always. For radio microphones, you need higher charge density than rechargables provide. It really sucks to have your wireless microphone crap out partway through act two. Another problem is that the discharge curve is very steep, so the thing goes from working fine to dead in a very short time, not giving you the opportunity to go do an emergency battery replacement before it dies. The memory effect in nicads is a problem, even though it is a far smaller issue than it was years ago. keeping track of aging rechargeables is an administrative hassle, consuming valuable time when time is at a premium. If you are in a touring environment, finding a place where you can plug in the chargers when everything is packed on a truck driving to the next site is a tad difficult. Other people on the tour are constantly taking batteries to power their personal electronics. With partly used alkalines, this is no problem, with rechargables, this gets expensive fast, and leaves you short of charged up batteries at the start of the show. When you are buying by the flat of 576 batteries, they are a lot less expensive than buying them at the convenience store. ( Anyone know why batteries come in a box of 576? I've always wondered. )

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

Just a note about AAA cells. (I know this is AA an discussion). If you are ever in dire need of some AAA cells, and have a 9V laying around, you can usually pry the thing apart to reveal 6 AAA in series inside. Depending on brand, you can use them as-is, or you might have to insulate them individually around the outside.

Reply to
Long Ranger

PowerStream has some discharge curves for the Coppertop and Radio Shack Enercell Plus. Check out

High current and low current designs are different.

Best regards mark

Reply to
PowerStream

These look like AAAs, but they are even smaller

The AAA size is 10.5 mm in diameter and 44.5 mm long.

The AAAA is 8.5 mm in diameter and 40.5 mm long

The ones they use in 9 volt batteries is 7.5 mm in diameter and 40.5 mm long. So this could probably be called a AAAAA cell.

They are cute.

For more information on cell sizes seel

By the way, some of these 9 volt batteries are made using oblong coin cells instead of cylindrical cells.

Best regards mark

Reply to
PowerStream

The message from "PowerStream" contains these words:

They used to all be like that a few decades ago.

Reply to
Guy King

Yup. In my *really* cheap days I used to break off the tops of Duracell PP3s to use as battery connectors - they're rather stronger than those flexy plastic ones Maplin etc sell.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yeah, I guess so, but they have worked for me in a pinch.

Reply to
Long Ranger

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

You are not alone!

I also used to pull the carbon rods out of D cells to use as electrodes with a car battery. I found you could melt common salt quite easily.

Reply to
Guy King

You too. Weren't they "SP2s" in those days?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

Hmm, something like that but I'm not sure it was SP2.

D'yer remember the 3V torch batteries that were like 2 C cells in a cardboard tube? And the 2xD cycle lamp batteries that had a spring on top and another on the front? And "flag" batteries?

Reply to
Guy King

'U2' was the generic 'size'. The 'SP2', was the 'super power' version. I think most people used those rods for something. I had a really powerful transformer (gave about 800A at 3v), and with nice thick cables, you could do a sort of 'spot welding' with these. The carbon was also a vital ingredient in many chemistry mixes....

The cycle lamp batteries had a longer cell than the 'D' cell. About 50% larger. I remember having to drill holes in the spring strips, to use these in a field telephone, when the 'official' batteries for these became hard to get.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Not sure...

Yes.

What dat ting?

How's it best to fit rechargeable cells into one of those

6V batteries with coil spring contacts on top?
Reply to
Chris Bacon

How about the 4.5 volt lantern type with sprung levers on the top known as 'flat' batteries? Often used in cycle front lamps.

Incidentally, these are still available from the likes of Maplin and are a source if stripped for cells which are used in some test meters and difficult to source singly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

A socking great single cell. Once used (amongst other things) to power glowplugs for model engines.

Picture about a third of the way down.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

You can buy rechargeable ones ready made. I've got one that has a Fig-8 mains socket in one corner and a 12V socket in the other. Depending which way round you put it in the torch you can fit either lead.

Reply to
Guy King

Gosh, that's a big one. No, I don't remember those...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

probably.... something about the top terminal rings a bell, though.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

SP2 and HP2.... AA was HP7, and C was HP11

Sounds like an everready No. 8

Reply to
John Rumm